890 Park Ave.
Built: 1913, Aaron M. Gove and Thomas F. Walsh, architects
Prominent Denver architects designed this one-story Gothic Revival church with a commanding, crenelated square bell tower for a $125 fee at a time when they were also working for the Diocese of Denver on the Mile High City’s Immaculate Conception Cathedral. The Meeker church had developed a leaky roof and a cracked wall until the State Historical Fund’s $68,850 helped to restore the central entry tower, replace the roof, install new gutters and downspouts, and put snow brakes on the roof.
This two-story structure of rough-cut local sandstone was the county’s only high school from 1924 until 1951. For its first two years, students had to dribble basketballs on packed dirt until the school board had enough money to install a hardwood floor. To preserve the school, the Meeker School District raised $283,000 and another $100,000 from the SHF to rehabilitate the interior and exterior. Much of the work involved upgrading of mechanical systems to address safety and teaching concerns. Preservation work included re-pointing of exterior brick to prevent further deterioration as well as repair and paint to interior hallways. The rehabilitation allowed for its reuse as a preschool, kindergarten, school district offices, and meeting space. The gym hosts recreation, dances, school activities, performances, and meetings.
St. James Episcopal Church
368 4th St.
The first church in Meeker and one of Colorado’s oldest still-flourishing Episcopal churches is made of golden sandstone from the nearby Flag Creek Quarry. Rough cut into blocks, the stone is used for the walls, sills, trim and buttresses, which peek out from under a large, steep shingled roof. The central entry is topped by a distinctive, open-shingled tower with a bell from the Blymer Bell Foundry of Cincinnati. This lovely little Queen Anne–style church is enhanced by a generous and well-maintained garden and lawn. St. James raised $35,000 to match $105,000 from the SHF to restore the badly leaning bell tower, stabilize the foundation, and replace the roof.
Parts of this text taken from Guide to Colorado Historic Places by Thomas J. Noel