Boggs Lumber & Hardware Building
125 N. Main St.
National Register 1/18/1985, 5YM.50
The 1915 Boggs Building is the oldest surviving commercial building in Eckley. The two-story structure was the first of five brick buildings constructed in the early 20th century. In addition to the first-floor retail space, the upper level variously contained an opera house, dance hall, and town offices. Most recently, the building served as the Eckley Grange Hall. (1983 photograph.)
Walter & Anna Zion Homestead
National Register 7/6/2005, 5YM.235
The Walter and Anna Zion Homestead has a long association with the Zion family, early homesteaders in the Idalia-Vernon area who farmed and ranched from 1910 until 1975. Family descendants continue agricultural operations. The homestead is a rare intact example of sod construction. An ingenious adaptation utilized by many plains homesteaders to construct their first homes, sod houses were intended to be temporary, typically abandoned as frame housing became an affordable option. Those that survived often underwent significant changes. The Zion Homestead is the only known surviving collection of intact Colorado sod buildings without major changes. The homestead has the potential to yield important information regarding sod building construction in Colorado. Research at this site could yield information regarding regional variations in sod construction due to local soil composition and moisture content, as well as advanced construction techniques due to a later settlement period than the Midwest. (Bunkhouse, 2004 photograph.)
25817 Colorado St.
State Register 8/9/2000, 5YM.172
Serving as Vernon’s only high school from 1927 until 1959, Vernon School was the town’s only grade school from 1939 until 1969. The 1927 school, with its 1949 gymnasium addition, represents a second stage of school construction for rural communities, one which involved building larger facilities that addressed the needs of high school students. The addition boasted one of the first gymnasiums in the area with a regulation-size basketball court. Since 1970, the building has served as a community center. (1928 photograph.)
Battle of Beecher Island
National Register 10/29/1976, Amendment 11/22/2010, 5YM.40
Since 1899 Beecher Island Battleground has served as the venue of annual battle commemorations. Each September, the site has been (and still is) flooded with the arrival of hundreds, often thousands, of visitors who came to remember the celebrated battle. The weekend-long event included speeches, battle reenactments, meals, and music. The remainder of the year, the remote site was visited by a much smaller number of tourists who traveled there for its appeal as a touchstone of western American frontier history. Its attraction to those interested in frontier history remains unabated today. Consequently, the Battleground has long derived distinction from its character and use as a commemorative site, and this remains its most intact characteristic.
420 Main St.
National Register 8/6/2013, 5YM.290
The Cliff Theater is significant in the area of entertainment/recreation. Ever since its grand opening in 1950 the theater has served as Wray’s primary public entertainment venue and community event space. Additionally, it has provided surrounding farmers, ranchers and neighboring communities a movie theater venue for many years. The Cliff Theater has been in continuous operation. Many original features are extant, including the black-and-white floor in the concession area, light fixtures in the lobby and theater, film re-winding system, and seating in the cry room. More information (PDF, 1.28 MB).
204 S. Ash St.
National Register 1/25/1990, 5YM.85
John Lett constructed the simple two-story wood frame building with its inviting wrap-around porch in 1916.
Schramm Building - Sheedy Hall
200, 202, 204 S. Main St.
State Register 2/26/2009, 5YM.283
The Schramm Building-Sheedy Hall is significant for playing an essential role in Yuma’s commercial history. For over four decades, the joined buildings anchored the heart of downtown Yuma with nationally known chain stores including J C Penney, Duckwalls and Safeway creating a one-stop shopping corner by the mid-1930s. These prominent stores continued to provide Yuma and its surrounding communities goods at the same location into the mid-1960s, with Duckwalls surviving until 1972 in this location.
Yuma Public Library
217 S. Ash St.
State Register 9/13/1995, 5YM.121
The 1930 Yuma Public Library played an important role in the social history of Yuma. Construction of the building was spearheaded by the Yuma Woman’s Club.