Ault High School
208 W. 1st St.
State Register 12/8/1999, 5WL.2772
Built in 1921, Ault High School served as the community’s only high school from 1921 until 1976, and then as a junior high school until 1992. The building is an important example of the work of prominent regional architect, Sidney G. Frazier.
For information about the State Historical Fund’s participation in the preservation of this property see the Project Snapshot.
Ault Pump House
420 Graefe Ave.
State Register 2/22/2007, 5WL.5026
The 1907 pump house is important for its historic use as a major part of the community infrastructure that provided an adequate water supply to the town. The water system contributed to the town’s growth and progress by elevating living conditions and assisting with fire protection. (2006 photograph.) More information (PDF, 952 kb).
Elmer & Etta Ball Ranch
Weld County Rd. 69, vicinity of Briggsdale
National Register 10/16/1991, 5WL.1599
This cohesive group of agricultural buildings, including the main farm house, main barn, smaller barns, bunk house, chicken house, well, corral area, outhouse, and other minor structures, is representative of early 20th century dryland farming and ranching in rural Weld County. The main house is a 1½-story Bungalow style dwelling built in 1914 and enlarged in 1929. The property is associated with the Historic Farms and Ranches of Weld County Multiple Property Submission.
Briggsdale Motor Company
200 Main St.
State Register 2/25/2010, 5WL.6227
The Briggsdale Motor Company is listed on the State Register in the area of Commerce. During the ownership of the Motor Company by J. A. Brooks and Maynard Cass, the business sold parts, tires, and gasoline while providing automobile repairs and service. The period of significance begins in 1929 with the completion of the Briggsdale Motor Company building at 200 Main Street and continues to 1960 when the business closed.
Land Utilization Program Headquarters / Briggsdale Work Center
44741 Weld County Rd. 77, Briggsdale vicinity
National Register 10/29/2009, 5WL.1591
Designated under the Multiple Property Documentation Form for New Deal Resources of Colorado’s Eastern Plains at the state level of significance, the LUP Headquarters, mandated by the Resettlement Administration in 1935, is significant in the area of Politics/Government for its association with President Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal legislative agenda to rescue the United States from the Great Depression. The Land Utilization Program characterized a nascent period of greater government involvement in agricultural practice and policy. The LUP Headquarters is also significant in the area of Conservation as a program developed to reverse the damage overgrazing, dryland farming, erosion, and dust caused to the Plains. Finally, the LUP Headquarters is significant in the area of Landscape Architecture as a rare intact demonstration landscape designed by New Deal conservationists. The period of significance begins in 1936 with the establishment of the LUP Headquarters and ends in 1941. More information (PDF 2.15 MB).
Amanda K. Alger Memorial Episcopal Church (Eaton United Methodist Church)
303 Maple Ave.
National Register 10/25/2006, 5WL.5088
The 1925 Amanda K. Alger Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church is an excellent example of the Late Gothic Revival style popular in the 1920s. Designed by the architectural firm of Wilson and Wilson, the church exhibits many of the characteristics of the style including a steeply pitched roof, arched windows with tracery, quatrefoil elements, a crenellated parapet, and simpler detailing. The church played an important community role in hosting numerous dinners and basketball games over the decades. The Ladies Aid Bazaar occurred here each year as a fundraiser for this active women’s group. Additionally, the Ladies Aid prepared many dinners in the kitchen and served meals for Rotary Club dinners, Masons, and other organizations. Intramural and adult league basketball games also took place in the Fellowship Hall. This large room has provided a place for the community to gather, socialize, and celebrate. More information (PDF, 880 kb).
Eaton High School
114 Park Ave.
State Register 9/11/1996, 5WL.890
The 1929 Eaton High School is important for its association with the history of education in Eaton. It is also architecturally significant as a good example of the Collegiate Gothic style and the work of an important Colorado architect, Robert Kenneth Fuller.
Aaron James Eaton House
207 Elm St.
National Register 4/19/2006, 5WL.4884
Aaron James Eaton, the “Father of Commerce” in Eaton, moved into the new house with his family in 1888. Eaton was one of the town founders, being active and influential in many aspects of community and regional development. He established and operated the town’s first general merchandise store, the First National Bank of Eaton, and the Eaton Building and Loan Association. He secured a sugar beet factory for the town, organized the local school district, and served as postmaster and one of the first town trustees. Eaton also took an interest in his father’s agricultural pursuits, overseeing many area farms and irrigation projects. The Eaton House was the town’s first two-story brick residence and is the oldest, largest, and least altered example of the Queen Anne style in Eaton. The house displays representative elements in its asymmetrical massing, variety of construction materials (brick, stone and decorative shingles), and steeply pitched roof with complex forms. (2005 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.56 MB).
Ottesen Grain Co. Feed Mill
815 7th St.
National Register 11/5/1998, 5WL.2708
The 1920 Ottesen Grain Co. Feed Mill functioned as the sole grain buyer and livestock feed processor for the Fort Lupton area for over fifty years. The complex consists of three adjoining buildings and two tall silos which are tied together structurally at the roof line. The different materials used in their construction illustrate the shift from fire-prone wood structures to the use of brick, tile, steel, and concrete for such facilities.
Town of Frederick Old Town Hall
105 Fifth St.
State Register 1/26/2012, 5WL.4186
The Town of Frederick Old Town Hall is significant in the area of politics and government as a long tenured town hall serving the community of Frederick from 1908 until 1976, when the town constructed a new Town Hall/Municipal Building. It originally served as the recorder of coal mining transactions, municipal court, jail, record keeper and primary hub for town government. Additionally, the 1908 Town of Frederick Old Town Hall is significant as a good local example of a false-front commercial building type. Character-defining features of this building type exhibited by the Old Town Hall include a front-gabled roof, main façade parapet extending above the roof, rectangular plan, wood-frame construction, and one story. In 1976 the town outgrew the 1908 building and relocated the original building to a park two blocks to the west. The original site became the site of a much larger town hall building including the fire station and police station.
Conrad Borgens House
415 13th St.
State Register 6/25/15, 5WL.6512
The 1920 Conrad Borgens House is architecturally significant as a good example of a Craftsman style residence. Builder and carpenter Conrad Borgens designed and built this house for his family and included Craftsman character-defining features including wood-shingle siding, lap siding, a full-width front porch with massive battered piers, exposed rafter ends, broadly overhanging eaves, multi-light-over-one wood frame sash windows, and gabled dormers with wood shingle siding. He carried the Craftsman style to the interior with various built-in cabinets, cupboards and decorative wood features. The house remains in the Borgens family. More information (PDF, 957 KB).
Clubhouse / Student Union
University of Northern Colorado Campus
National Register 10/29/2008, 5WL.5840
The 1916 Student Union stands as an important record of New Deal construction programs in eastern Colorado, reflecting the extensive assistance the Colorado State College of Education (now UNC) received from the PWA to remake its campus during the 1930s. The building was the center of social life for the students of the College hosting events such as teas, mixers, dances, and banquets. It was also important in the history of the college as the first building constructed specifically for women. The original Clubhouse reflects Craftsman design while the Student Union expansion in 1939 exhibits Collegiate Gothic style. The property is associated with the New Deal Resources on Colorado’s Eastern Plains Multiple Property Submission. (2008 photograph.) More information (PDF, 2.12 MB).
900-920 9th Ave.
State Register 6/12/1996, 5WL.2284
The 1905 Coronado Building is associated with the development and evolution of Greeley’s downtown and with Dr. Ella Mead and architect Bessie Smith, two women important to the community’s social history. Smith’s design is an important local example of early 20th century commercial architecture. (1996 photograph.)
First Baptist Church
10th Ave. at 11th St.
National Register 11/25/1987, 5WL.1251
The 1911 First Baptist Church, a rectangular plan building on a raised foundation, topped by an unenriched parapet in a Neoclassical style, was designed by architect T. Robert Wieger.
1403 9th Ave.
National Register 2/5/1991, 5WL.1768
The Glazier House is a two-story wood frame Queen Anne style residence built in 1902 by J.A. Woodbury, a talented builder and craftsman in Greeley, for I.O. Grazier, a Greeley jeweler. Glazier’s wife, Clara, is said to have designed the essentially unaltered residence.
Roughly bounded by 8th St. on the north, 8th Ave. on the east, 9th St. on the south, and 9th Ave. on the west
National Register 7/24/2008, 5WL.5652
The historic district represents much of the commercial history and development of Greeley. Downtown commercial activity began in earnest in 1880. The area formed the community’s hub as the home to restaurants, retail stores, hotels, law and medical offices, grocers, real estate offices, pharmacies, and other establishments, as well as the Weld County Courthouse, all significant to Greeley’s commercial development. From locally owned businesses to regional and national chain stores, the district reflects the evolution of Greeley from its establishment as a small rural town to a commercial center for northeastern Colorado. By 1958, the growth of the city and movement of businesses away from the downtown led to remodeling and new construction in downtown. Recent historic building restorations have accompanied renewed economic activity signaling the beginning of a new phase of commercial history in Greeley’s downtown district. (2008 photograph.) More information (PDF, 57.78 MB).
Greeley High School (Greeley Central)
1515 14th Ave.
State Register 3/10/1999, National Register 4/15/1999, 5WL.2916
The 1927 three-story Late Gothic Revival style brick building was designed by Denver architect William N. Bowman, in conjunction with Greeley architect Sidney G. Frazier. The exterior remains virtually as constructed, and the building remains in use as part of the Greeley Central High School complex.
Greeley Ice and Storage Building
1120 6th Avenue
State Register 9/24/2015, 5WL.7373
The 1930/1939 Greeley Ice and Storage Building is important as an early-twentieth century ice manufacturing and storage facility, providing the city of Greeley and surrounding areas with manufactured ice and cold storage for meat, poultry, and beverages, as well as storage for furniture, furs, and other items. The company also supported area agricultural interests by supplying ice for railroad and truck transport of meat and produce. It is a good example of a 1930s ice manufacturing and cold storage facility, as reflected in its immense size, external framework of piers and floorplates dividing brick curtain walls, few window openings, loading docks, flat roof with parapet, concrete internal columns, and limited ornamentation. The utilization of brick walls within an exposed concrete structural grid is a design frequently seen in industrial buildings of the era. More information (PDF, 3.43 MB).
Greeley Junior High School
811 15th St.
National Register 10/11/2003, 5WL.2572
The 1938 Greeley Junior High School is the oldest surviving junior high school in the community. The Depression-era Public Works Administration, part of Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal programs, partially funded the school’s construction. The building is the only known example of the Art Deco style in Greeley. The school is distinguished by its high standards of construction craft and its extensive use of terra cotta ornamentation. The building is the work of Sidney G. Frazier, Greeley’s most significant historic architect.
Greeley Masonic Temple
829 10th Ave.
National Register 7/7/2004, 5WL.4159
The Greeley Masonic Temple is an important design of architect William N. Bowman. The 1927 Masonic building is his only known commission to have employed a modernist interpretation of Georgian Revival architecture. The building is also associated with the social history of a Masonic Lodge. As a fraternal order, the Masons participated in numerous community betterment activities in Greeley. More information (PDF, 552 kb).
Greeley School / Central Platoon School
1015 8th St.
National Register 7/23/1981, 5WL.315
The school is a combination of two building periods-1895, when the high school was constructed, and 1902, when the grade school building was added. The 1895 building constructed on a stone and red sandstone foundation has pressed brick walls set in red mortar, with red sandstone trimmings. It was designed by Harlan Thomas of Denver in a variation of the Romanesque style. The 1902 addition is similar, yet subordinate to, the high school. Very little ornamentation appears in the overall design, following a conservative "no frills" guideline. The building is significant in that it reflects the response to educational needs of a growing community in economically difficult times.
Greeley Tribune Building
714 8th St.
National Register 4/18/2007, 5WL.2573
The Greeley Tribune newspaper operated out of this building from the completion of construction in 1929 until 1986. The Tribune was the main source of information for the rural agricultural region in and around Greeley, providing not only local stories but also national and international news. The newspaper saw significant expansion during its occupation of the building. The Tribune is Weld County’s oldest newspaper and one of the oldest businesses in Greeley, having been started in 1870. Sidney Frazier, counted among Greeley’s noted architects, designed the excellent local example of the Beaux-Arts style. The building exhibits many of the characteristic features of the style including a symmetrical facade, terra cotta ornamentation in the pilasters and cartouche, the semi-circular ironwork canopy, and an entablature with dentils and egg-and-dart molding topped with decorative urns. More information (PDF, 396 kb).
Greeley Union Pacific Railroad Depot
7th Ave. & 9th St.
National Register 11/4/1993, 5WL.764
Architect Gilbert Stanley Underwood designed the 1929 Greeley depot. Underwood is best known for the Rustic style buildings he designed for the Union Pacific and the National Park Service in Bryce Canyon, Zion, Yosemite, and Grand Canyon National Parks. The Greeley depot is the only known example of Underwood’s work in Colorado. The property is associated with the Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Multiple Property Submission.
Meeker House (Meeker Memorial Museum)
1324 9th Ave., NW
National Register 2/26/1970, 5WL.566
Nathan C. Meeker, founder of Union Colony, later known as Greeley, built the two-story adobe structure in 1870. Meeker had been the agricultural editor for Horace Greeley's newspaper, the New York Tribune, and he acted on his supervisor’s famous pronouncement "to go west young man."
1303 9th Ave.
National Register 4/2/2002, 5WL.2575
The two-story wood frame Italianate style house is one of the few intact residences dating from the early years of the Union Colony established by Nathan Meeker in 1870. Edwin S. Nettleton designed several early canals that brought critical irrigation water to the farmlands and urban homesteads of the colony. His canals, perhaps more than any other single factor, led to the initial success and sustained growth of the community. Dr. Ella Avery Mead, the first female doctor in the Greeley area, practiced from 1905 into the 1940s. She dedicated her professional life to the improvement of children’s and women’s health. As the City Health Officer for Greeley she enforced quarantine laws, instituted milk inspections, and implemented a health screening system in the area’s public schools.
1861 12th Ave.
State Register 2/26/2009, 5WL.3510
The Noffsinger House is associated with inventor and businessman, Fred P. Noffsinger (1885 – 1950), who contributed significantly to the agricultural industry of Weld County and the state of Colorado. His farm machinery inventions were nationally recognized and included the first automated equipment used in the potato industry. These included the potato digger, land leveler, and grasshopper exterminator. His equipment set standards in engineering that are still admired and used today. More information (PDF, 1.19 MB).
27401 Weld County Road 58½, Greeley vicinity
National Register 3/15/1991, 5WL.805
The SLW ranch complex consists of a ranch house, coal house, ice house, barn, corral, storage, and feeding areas. The ranch house, a large, two-story frame dwelling over a stone cellar, was built in 1888 by Robert Hall for Lyulph Ogilvy. The ranch represents a variety of developments in the area from its association with the movement of Scottish investors in western ranch lands, the Percheron-Norman Horse Co., which supplied horses to meet the needs of farm and city dwellers, to the development of the cattle industry in the 20th century. The property is associated with the Historic Farms and Ranches of Weld County Multiple Property Submission.
University of Northern Colorado Campus Residential District
University of Northern Colorado
State Register 12/9/1998, 5WL.2883
The district represents part of the evolution of the college from the Colorado Normal School to the University of Northern Colorado. Architecturally, the central campus area includes a variety of residential buildings, constructed between 1921-1936, employing Germanic half-timbering and Bavarian influenced styles as executed by a number of prominent architects, including: William Ittner, F.W. Ireland, Jr., Robert Lindstadt, and William Bowman.
Von Gohren-Thompson Homestead / Gerry Farm Rural Historic Landscape
National Register 5/4/2011, 5WL.1242
The Von Gohren-Thompson Homestead – Gerry Farm is significant in the area of agriculture for its long association with the development of irrigated farming and livestock feeding in Weld County. The property meets the registration requirements as specified in the Multiple Property Documentation Form Historic Farms and Ranches of Weld County, being associated with the historic context Irrigated Farming in Weld County, 1870 - 1940 with the farm property type represented. Additionally, the property is architecturally significant with the main farmhouse being an excellent example of the Gable Front house with a slight modification to the classic example with the addition of a noticeable side wing. Although the Gable Front house was very popular at the time and often found in pattern books, the Thompson family modified it by adding the side wing to the west and a rear wing on the north. A wing on the back of the house for the kitchen was a common addition to the vernacular form. Finally, the property is important in the area of non-aboriginal archaeology for its potential to yield information important to history.
Von Trotha-Firestien Farm
National Register 5/12/2009, 5WL.5983
The Von Trotha-Firestien Farm is associated with the development of irrigated farming and livestock feeding in Weld County. Extant resources represent over 109 years of European settlement in the Bracewell area, with over 93 years directly associated with the Von Trotha and Firestien families. The resources directly correlate to the stages of technological and economic development of agriculture in northeastern Colorado, the most important being irrigation and sugar beet cultivation, both critical to the development of Greeley and Weld County. Additionally, the architecture and construction techniques represent those employed by farmers with limited means and materials. The medley of vernacular styles and materials reveal the extent to which the area’s farmers could make do by recycling building materials, adapting and reusing buildings and structures and applying do-it-yourself techniques that met restricted budgets while adjusting to changing economic and technological circumstances. The Von Trothas dismantled three clay tile brick silos from other properties they owned and utilized the brick for the Bungalow farmhouse construction. The property is associated with Historic Farms and Ranches of Weld County Multiple Property Submission.
Weld County Courthouse
915 9th St.
National Register 1/9/1978, 5WL.567
Designed by Denver architect William Norman Bowman this impressive four-story building of Indiana limestone and marble was completed in 1917. Its Neoclassical design is unique in the Greeley area.
4001 W. 9th St.
State Register 6/12/1996, National Register 7/27/2005, 5WL.322
Listed as a Colorado Centennial Farm in 1986, the property is associated with the history of agricultural development in Greeley and Weld County. Several farm related structures remain on the site. The 1904 farmhouse is a well preserved example of the work of Bessie Smith, Greeley’s first woman architect. (2005 photograph.) More information (PDF, 967 kb).
Joseph A. Woodbury House
1124 7th St.
National Register 5/17/1984, 5WL.664
The Woodbury House is one of the best examples of a Gothic cottage in Greeley. The one-and-one-half-story wood frame residence, with a projecting central bay extending above the first floor to become a projecting gable, was constructed in 1870-1871. Joseph Woodbury worked as a builder, became Greeley’s first fire chief, and was elected mayor in 1890 and 1897.
The Grover Depot, a two-story rectangular frame building with a gable roof, was built in 1887 by the Burlington Railroad Company. The building is a rare Colorado example of a first generation, two-story railroad depot and may well be the only surviving example of its type in Colorado. It represents the important role played by rail transportation in the founding, growth, and long-term survival of many Colorado agricultural towns such as Grover.
Grover Grain Elevator
North of Chatoga Ave. along RR right-of-way
State Register 3/13/1996, 5WL.2253
The circa 1916 Grover Grain Elevator, a well-preserved example of cribbed construction, stands as a reminder of the importance of the relationship between agriculture, commerce, and transportation to economic development in the Pawnee Grassland Region. The railroad right-of-way is still visible between the elevator and the Grover Depot.
223 Chatoga Ave.
State Register 9/13/1995, 5WL.2223
The 1910 Hotel Grover played a role in the commercial development of the Grover community where it is both the longest continually operating and last surviving hotel building. It is also associated with education, having functioned as a district teacherage and informal educational center from 1950 until the early 1990s.
Cora M. Morris & Company Building
501 Chatoga Ave.
State Register 5/27/2010, 5WL.1000
The Cora M. Morris & Co. Building began as a mercantile store in 1888. After a fire destroyed the front portion of the building in the mid-1930s, new owners and the community repaired and converted it to a community-gathering place. The Community Club, which organized local rodeo events, owned and met at the building for over 35 years. The organization offered the community building to residents of the Grover and the surrounding rural areas as a venue for movies, dances, Thespian variety shows, benefits, family events, and general meeting place.
5255 Colo. Hwy. 60
National Register 10/6/2004, 5WL.4810
The 1913 barn is an excellent example of a gambrel-roofed barn using plain-faced ornamental concrete block for its lower level. Ornamental concrete block was a popular construction material in the first three decades of the 20th century and was often formed with hand-operated machines on site. This concrete foundation formed a strong base on which to erect the roof trusses for the complex gambrel roof. The transformation of the lower level from its original dairy operation to a horse barn resulted in the loss of some interior materials. However, the original concrete floor and center passage remain, as does the large hayloft. More information (PDF, 2.46 MB).
Jared L. Brush Barn
24308 Weld County Rd. 17, Johnstown vicinity
National Register 10/16/1991, 5WL.1072
The Jared L. Brush Ranch began in 1860 as one of the first ranches in the Big Thompson Valley. The barn was constructed in 1865 and continues to serve as an integral part of an operating agricultural complex. The vertical wood sided barn includes historic shed roofed additions on each side of the central bay, which is 2½-stories in height and has a steeply pitched gabled roof. The utilization of wood pegged posts and beams, in conjunction with native wood and stone, in the barn’s construction marks it as a rare surviving resource of its type dating from Colorado’s pre-railroad and territorial periods. The property is associated with the Historic Farms and Ranches of Weld County Multiple Property Submission.
Little Thompson River Bridge
I-25 Service Rd., Johnstown vicinity
National Register 10/15/2002, 5WL.2985
Constructed over the Little Thompson River by Gardner Brothers in 1938, the bridge is associated with the development of US Hwy. 87 north of Denver. Subsequently becoming the route for today’s I-25, the highway served as a major north-south route, joining the major population centers along the western edge of Colorado’s high plains. Designed by the Colorado Department of Highways and fabricated by Midwest Steel & Iron Works, the single span rigid connected camelback pony truss runs for 104 feet. The property is associated with the the Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Multiple Property Submission.
Harvey J. Parish House
701 Charlotte St.
National Register 4/14/2000, 5WL.3174
Harvey J. Parish commissioned the construction of this house at the apex of his career in 1914. In 1902, Parish platted the town of Johnstown, which he named in honor of his son, and he served as the community’s first mayor. The family residence is the most important local example of a Craftsman Bungalow style house.
For information about the State Historical Fund’s participation in the preservation of this property see the Project Snapshot. (2005 photograph.)
Prospect Valley School
33318 Hwy. 52
State Register 3/11/1998, 5WL.2562
The circa 1903 Prospect Valley School, with circa 1920 and 1940 additions, provided elementary education for several generations of students in the Prospect Valley area of southern Weld County. The additions to the school building reflect the growth of the community and the adaptation of the original school to meet increased enrollments.
National Register 7/18/1990, 5WL.53
The Jurgens Site, a Paleo-Indian Plano Period multiple activity site, is represented by a long-term camp or habitation site, short term camp site, and a butchering and processing area for animals obtained in a small mass kill. Information from this site provides a major basis for knowledge about campsites and butchering sites, as well as cultural complexes making up the Plano Period. The property is associated with the Prehistoric Paleo-Indian Cultures of the Colorado Plains Multiple Property Submission. (ca. 1970 photograph.)
Sandstone Ranch Rd. and Co. Hwy. 119
National Register 1/23/1984, 5WL.712
Morse H. Coffin built the ranch beginning in the early 1880s. The complex includes nine farm structures and a quarry. The vernacular Second Empire style house was built in the early 1880s using sandstone from the nearby quarry. The quarry supplied stone to Denver, other parts of the state, and as far east as Chicago. The ranch, one of the least altered in Weld County, represents a good combination of cultivation and grazing activities.
The Milne Farm is an historic agricultural complex that encompasses a farmhouse, agricultural buildings, and irrigated fields. The Edwardian Vernacular style two-story red brick farmhouse was built in 1892 by James Grant Milne, a Scottish emigrant. Milne raised sheep and sugar beets. He became a leader in irrigation activities, was instrumental in the construction of the Boyd Lateral from the Larimer and Weld Ditch, and was considered a leader in civic and business affairs of the community. The property is associated with the Historic Farms and Ranches of Weld County Multiple Property Submission.
United Church of Christ Highland Lake
16896 Weld County Rd. 5, Mead vicinity
National Register 2/10/1989, 5WL.811
The building is an intact example of a vernacular wood frame church typical of those built on the eastern Colorado plains in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The 1896 church is the only remaining public building in what once was a thriving agricultural community.
National Register 7/6/2005, 5WL.3168
The 1911 school building served the educational needs of the agricultural community near Milliken for almost fifty years. Its intact setting, associated teacherage, itself a rare survivor of rural education, and privy further enable the property to convey its rural heritage. The building exhibits typical elements of rural schools, such as the narrow windows, bell tower, one-room interior, and the entry vestibule. The Daniels School is an unusual example of the Classical Revival style as applied to a rural school, with its pedimented porch, classical columns, and corner quoining. Daniels School is the last surviving rural brick schoolhouse in Weld County. The property is associated with the Rural School Buildings of Colorado Multiple Property Submission. More information (PDF, 387 kb).
Truxaw & Kruger Grocery/Seldin’s Cash Grocery
319 Centre Ave., New Raymer
National Register 6/01/2018, 5WL.8197
The 1909 Truxaw & Kruger Grocery/Seldin’s Cash Grocery is important for housing commercial businesses that contributed to the development of New Raymer as a railroad and market town for the surrounding dryland farming and ranching district. The succession of stores that occupied the building provided the community with a variety of essential goods, including groceries, clothing, notions, feed products, household equipment, and farm implements until 1957 when the building ceased to be used as a store. The building is also important for housing the New Raymer post office between 1940 and 1957, providing community members with postal services, a source of community pride, and a tangible connection to their federal government. More information (PDF).
Nunn Municipal Hall (Northern Drylanders Museum)
755 3rd St.
State Register 3/10/1999, 5WL.2114
Constructed in 1933-1934 as a Civil Works Administration Depression-Era project, the two-story building, of painted concrete housed the police station, fire department, and town clerk. Community dinners, school activities, and various other family gatherings took place in the building. No longer used as a town hall, the building is now a community museum.
Nunn Water Tower
US Hwy. 85
State Register 3/10/1993, 5WL.1859
The Nunn Water Tower, a 50,000-gallon steel tank on four steel legs with a platform and guard rails, was constructed in 1921 and distributes water to town water users. A beacon light on top of the tower once guided planes flying between Denver and Cheyenne, Wyoming, and it served as a light for the residents of Nunn.
Fort St. Vrain Monument
State Register 5/16/2001, 5WL.814
The Centennial Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution placed a commemorative monument on the site of Fort St. Vrain near Platteville in 1911. The monument was the first in an ongoing series of over 100 commemorative markers in Colorado erected by the DAR through its local chapters. Such monuments served to remind local residents and visitors of past events and personages through direct association with specific sites of importance. Often the monument itself is the only physical connection to the event or personage. Such dedicated sites provide historical geographic context and help to establish and maintain community identity in the face of change.
Fort Vasquez Site
US Hwy. 85, Platteville vicinity
National Register 9/30/1970; Additional Documentation 9/9/2001, 5WL.568
Louis Vasquez and Andrew Sublette built an adobe fort on this site about 1835 as part of their fur trading enterprise. The two sold the fort in 1841 and it was abandoned a year later. In the late 1930s, the Works Progress Administration reconstructed the adobe fort using the small portions of the remaining walls and the limited information available regarding the size and plan of the original. History Colorado operates the property as one of its regional museums. The property is associated with the New Deal Resources on Colorado’s Eastern Plains Multiple Property Submission.
West Stoneham Archaeological District
National Register 9/23/1994, 5WL.2180
The district yielded, and continues to yield, important information regarding northeastern Colorado’s prehistoric and early historic periods, especially in relation to the use of rockshelters and stone rings. (1993 photograph.)
US Hwy. 34, 11 miles west of Wiggins
National Register 8/4/1995, 5WL.744
The townsite is the only remaining Colorado example of the national African-American colonization movement inspired by Booker T. Washington. It was one of fourteen colonies, or rural towns, established in the West to provide Americans of African descent with the opportunity to own and work their own land. By 1917, sixty African-American families worked its 15,000 acres. The town boasted a boarding house, numerous stores, a concrete block factory, a blacksmith shop, churches, and its own telephone service. The Great Depression and the Dust Bowl brought hard times, and many of its residents moved on. Oliver Toussaint Jackson, an African-American leader and entrepreneur in Colorado from the early 1900s until his death in 1948, founded Dearfield in 1910 when he filed a homestead claim for the initial 160 acres of land. (1995 photograph.)
First Methodist Episcopal Church
501 Walnut St.
National Register 7/7/2004, 5WL.2495
The 1915 First Methodist Episcopal Church in Windsor is an excellent ecclesiastical example of Classical Revival and a well-preserved example of high style architecture applied in a small town setting. Nebraska architect John R. Smith designed the building. The church interior contains typical design elements of the Akron Plan, along with an unusual and complex star-shaped coffered sanctuary ceiling with pendant lights and a central octagonal stained glass dome. The original building connects through a narrow passage to a sensitively designed 1995 Postmodern style addition.
Windsor Mill & Elevator Company Building
301 Main St.
National Register 9/3/1998, 5WL.838
The 1899 mill is architecturally representative of a turn-of-the-century agricultural processing and storage facility typically found in rural Colorado communities. The complex includes a stacked lumber grain elevator, a brick mill building, a wood-frame warehouse, and a free-standing brick boiler house.
Windsor Town Hall (Windsor Art and Heritage Center)
116 5th St.
National Register 1/15/1999, 5WL.2050
The 1909 two-story building is a good example of an early 20th century local government administrative center, combining offices for the town’s governing board, administrative offices, police station, city jail, fire station, and public meeting rooms. Its simplified Classical Revival style was common to public buildings of the period, particularly in smaller Colorado communities. The building currently houses the Art & Heritage Center, a Town of Windsor Museum, which hosts a number of exhibits and programs throughout the year.