215 Cedar St.
State Register 12/8/1999, 5SW.76
The 1919 Hippodrome Theatre was Julesburg’s first theater building constructed specifically for the exhibition of motion pictures, and it continues in that use. The building typifies the fantasy architecture of many small town and neighborhood theaters constructed before 1930.
Julesburg Public Library
300 Cedar St.
State Register 8/8/2001, 5SW.80
The 1937 building of stuccoed cinderblock represents the successful culmination of the organizing and fundraising efforts of the Julesburg Woman’s Club to establish a permanent town library and community meeting facility. The project combined local funds with a grant from the Depression era Works Progress Administration. (1996 photograph.)
Sedgwick County Courthouse
315 Cedar St.
National Register 4/24/2007, 5SW.81
Constructed by the Works Progress Administration between 1938 and 1939, the courthouse represents federal New Deal relief programs at work in eastern Colorado during the Great Depression. The county commissioners took advantage of the WPA program to match county funds toward the construction of a new courthouse to replace a 1904 facility. The building is an excellent example of the WPA Art Deco style applied to a government building whose construction was constrained by the economic conditions of the Depression. Designed by Denver architects W. Gordon Jamieson and R. Ewing Stiffler, its Art Deco elements include the vertical emphasis with a stepped facade and the stylized decoration of floral patterns and sunrises on the terra cotta tiles. Essential to the governing of the county, the building has continuously served as the courthouse and jail since 1939. The property is associated with the New Deal Resources in Eastern Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (1998 photograph.) More information (PDF, 3.19 MB).
Union Pacific Railroad Julesburg Depot (Depot Museum)
201 W. 1st St.
National Register 2/11/2004, 5SW.28
The 1930 Union Pacific Railroad depot in Julesburg played a critical role in the development and growth of Julesburg and of northeastern Colorado. Rail service moved passengers, agricultural crops, cattle and locally manufactured items to points east and west of Julesburg. The Denver branch allowed local citizens to travel to and from the city and area merchants to get their goods to market. Although the building has been moved approximately 110 feet north in order to save it from demolition, the depot retains most of its original design, materials and workmanship. The building is a well preserved example of a standard Union Pacific architectural plan of its time for a combination-type depot - a depot designed to serve both passenger and freight operations. Listed under the Railroads in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Ovid High School
300 Morgan St.
State Register 8/9/2000, 5SW.78
The 1928 Art Deco style building was designed by noted architect Temple Buell. The two-story brick facility pre-dates his 1931 Art Deco style Horace Mann Junior High School in Denver and 1936 Morgan School in Montrose. In spite of the replacement of the original windows during the 1970s the building continues to be a good local example of Buell’s work and the Art Deco style. Although other buildings have been added to the campus, the 1928 building has been in continuous use as a high school facility since its completion.