Cottonwood St. & Carbonate Ave.
National Register 1/9/1986, 5SH.1014
Constructed during the 1880s, clapboards were installed over the original board and batten siding in 1901. This rural schoolhouse continued to serve the area’s children until 1949. Listed under Rural School Buildings in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Capilla de San Juan Bautista
La Garita vicinity
National Register 2/8/1980, 5SH.125
The adobe church with its steeply pitched roof, lancet windows, and prominent bell tower is an example of Territorial Adobe style architecture with Gothic Revival influences. Replacing an earlier church that burned, construction began in 1912 and was not completed until 1923. As in most Hispanic communities, the church became the center of both social and religious activities. The grounds include the ruins of an adobe nunnery and a cemetery with hand-carved grave markers. Abandoned in 1957 and fallen into disrepair, the building was restored and converted into a folk art center. (1996 photograph.)
Carnero Creek Pictographs
Rio Grande National Forest
National Register 6/5/1975, 5SH.48
There are several recognizable motifs on these pictograph panels, including spirals, crescents, bird tracks, ladders, and stick and animal figures. Like most rock art, it has the potential to provide information regarding ceremonial practices, such as shamanism.
First Baptist Church of Moffat
401 Lincoln Ave.
National Register 7/24/2008, 5SH.1020
The 1911 building is an excellent example of the use of on-site formed, panel-faced ornamental concrete blocks in a small but elegant church building. The irregular plan and cross-gabled roof building is also noteworthy for its primary and secondary steeples and its use of pressed metal roof shingles and siding. Original stained glass windows are present throughout the building as is the interior pressed metal ceiling. Though structural deterioration is a current problem, the church retains a high degree of physical integrity in relation to its original construction. The property is associated with the Ornamental Concrete Block Buildings in Colorado, 1900-1940 Multiple Property Submission. (2006 photograph.) More information (PDF, 748 kb).
National Register 3/24/2000, 5SH.1035
Indian Grove, located within Great Sand Dunes National Monument, is a concentration of 72 mature ponderosa pine trees, many of which contain large scars. Archaeologists believe that Ute Indians peeled the bark from these trees, and that the site can provide important information about Ute social history and subsistence strategies. The majority of these culturally modified trees were peeled between 1816 and 1848. Very few definitive Ute sites have been identified in Colorado.
Dunn's Block / Means & Ashley Mercantile Company
317-325 4th St.
State Register 8/31/2006, 5SH.1901
The property consists of an 1874 building with a ca. 1910 addition. The older portion is representative of the Italianate style, reflected in its brick walls with quoins, the projecting metal cornice, and the tall, narrow arched window and door openings marked with hood molds and keystones. It is the most architecturally sophisticated of Saguache’s early buildings. A variety of businesses occupied the building, contributing to the commercial success of Saguache. The building subsequently housed one of the town’s most prominent businesses-Means & Ashley Mercantile. The building’s history typifies the pattern of commercial activity experienced in the first fifty years of Saguache’s development. Early on, the building hosted important political meetings and social gatherings, and served as the meeting lodge for several of the town’s fraternal organizations, including the Odd Fellows, Masons, and Woodmen. The Masons continue to meet here. (2006 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.45 MB).
Saguache County Courthouse
504 4th St.
State Register 8/11/1993, 5SH.1392
Saguache Downtown Historic District
300 and 400 blocks of 4th Street and adjacent side street parcels
National Register, 7/25/2014, 5SH.4597
The Saguache Downtown Historic District is locally significant in the area of commerce for its historic role as the commercial center of the Town of Saguache and the upper San Luis Valley since its founding in 1874. The district is further locally significant in the area of architecture, representing an intact collection of one- and two-story late nineteenth- and early twentieth century commercial buildings, including an impressive number of buildings featuring false front and adobe construction. More information (PDF, 5.73 MB).
Saguache Elementary School
605 Christy Ave.
State Register 8/11/1993, 5SH.1393
The architectural firm of Manning & Frewen designed this two-story H-shaped brick building that was constructed in 1915. The building is a good example of the Mediterranean style, as evidenced by its tile roof, restrained ornamentation, and round arched windows and entrance.
Saguache Flour Mill
County Rd. 57
National Register 9/18/1978, 5SH.458
Constructed in 1873 by Enos Hotchkiss, a prominent Colorado pioneer, the wood frame three-story building is a lone survivor of an important early industry in Saguache County. It is believed to be one of the few remaining water powered grist mills in Colorado. (1976 photograph.)
Saguache School & Jail Building
US Hwy. 285 & San Juan Ave.
National Register 5/2/1975, 5SH.124
One of the oldest buildings in Saguache, the adobe school was constructed in 1874. The adjoining jail was built in 1908. The buildings have served as the Saguache County Museum since 1959.
St. Agnes Mission Church
505 Gunnison St.
State Register 9/10/2003, 5SH.1658
The 1947 building is an unusual vernacular expression of Pueblo Deco, a melding of Art Deco with Southwest Indian designs. The church possesses the distinctive characteristics of this style as evident in its angular composition, vertical emphasis, stepped parapet, corbelled cut-outs, and geometric designs. (2003 photograph.) More information (PDF, 60 kb).
346 Hicks Ave.
State Register 12/13/1995, 5SH.1485
The 1924 Sargents Schoolhouse played an important role in the education and social activities of the residents of Sargents and nearby communities. Even after it ceased to function as a school in 1960, it continued to serve as a community center, with volunteers actively supporting its maintenance. (2002 photograph.)
Sargents Water Tank
45 Front St.
National Register 8/12/2010, 5SH.3633
The 1937 Denver & Rio Grande Western (D&RGW) water tank at Sargents is listed as a subtype defined in the 1998 Railroads in Colorado 1858-1948 Multiple Property Documentation Form. The tank is significant under Criterion A in the area of Transportation for its association with the operations of the D&RGW Railroad on its Marshall Pass Route. The tank provided water for a vast number of steam locomotives traveling the pass from its construction in 1937 through the closing of the line in 1955. The D&RGW Sargents water tank is further significant under Criterion C in the area of Engineering as representative of a distinctive design and construction method associated with water tanks for the railroad. Tanks of identical design, materials, and construction were built throughout the D&RGW system with only a handful of these structures surviving. The Sargents water tank is the only surviving example in its original location along the entire length of the Marshall Pass route.
Biedell Creek Archaeological District
State Register 10/28/2010, 5SH.3997
The Biedell Creek Archaeological District comprises a cultural landscape representing approximately 10,000 years of human occupation. Based on the available archaeological data, this district is significant in the areas of prehistoric archaeology, architecture, economics, ethnic heritage, and industry. This is an area with great potential for contributing new knowledge about the prehistoric archaeology of south-central Colorado.