40905 County Rd. 17, Buford vicinity
State Register 2/24/2006, 5RB.4419
The 1902 Buford School has long been the educational center of the rural area near Buford and served as the local school until consolidation in 1952. Its intact setting and associated privy helps to convey the rural school experience of many children in northwestern Colorado. For several generations, the building stood at the core of the White River Valley’s daily life, and it continues to serve this rural community as a gathering and learning place. The Buford School is a highly recognizable valley landmark. The property is associated with the Rural School Buildings of Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (1977 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.03 MB).
Battle of Milk River Site / Thornburgh
Thornburgh Rd., 17 miles northeast of Meeker
National Register 8/22/1975, 5RB.982
In September of 1879, Ute warriors skirmished here with troops under the command of Major T.T. Thornburgh as the troops entered the Ute Reservation on an expedition from Fort Steele, Wyoming to the White River Agency in northwestern Colorado. Located in the remote Milk Creek Valley, the battle site covers approximately 1,600 acres. Portions of a historic wagon road remain visible.
Duck Creek Wickiup Village
36 miles south of Meeker
National Register 11/20/1975, 5RB.53
The site is important for its use by Utes well into the late 19th century during their annual fall and winter gathering of pinyon nuts in the surrounding area.
Coal Creek School
617 Cty. Rd. 6
National Register, 7/18/2014, 5RB.3575
The 1892 Coal Creek School is a good example of a one-room rural schoolhouse that has also served as a community gathering space and polling place for several decades. The coal shed/privy and horse shed remain on the property. Although the original cupola was removed in 1948 when classes were discontinued, the school is still recognizable as such and meets the registration requirements of the Rural School Buildings in Colorado Multiple Property Documentation Form. (2013 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.17 MB).
Hay’s Ranch Bridge
County Rd. 127
National Register 2/4/1985, 5RB.2376
The M.J. Patterson Contracting Company of Denver completed this pin-connected, six-panel steel Pratt pony truss in 1901. It is one of Colorado’s earliest state-funded vehicular bridges and one of the oldest roadway trusses in northwestern Colorado. Its slightly bowed top chord represents an unusual modification of the Pratt pony truss. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
560 Main St.
National Register 5/7/1980, 5RB.985
Constructed in 1896, this two-story brick building reflects the characteristics of commercial structures built in small western towns during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. (1997 photograph.)
I.O.O.F. Lodge – Valentine Lodge No. 47
400 Main St.
National Register 3/19/2014, 5RB.2245
The 1897 I.O.O.F. Lodge – Valentine Lodge No. 47 provided an important social venue, not only to the I.O.O.F. Lodge members with various assistance, but also to the community and various organizations. Local engineer Herman Pfeiffer designed the architecturally significant Late 19th and Early 20th Century Revival style building. The Lodge used the upper floor while the lower floor was leased to merchants, a government office and for school classes at one time. A large dance floor and community room also existed on the first floor where many community dances, dinners, and other events took place. The community room served as a roller skating rink in the 1940s – 1950s. Mountain Valley Bank added a drive-up canopy in 2004 and converted the first floor into a bank. (2013 photograph.) More information (PDF, 3.80 MB).
J.W. Hugus Company Building / A. Oldland Building
594 Main St.
State Register 12/11/1991, 5RB.2242
The two-story brick building was constructed in 1911 to house the Meeker operations of J.W. Hugus & Co. Founded by J.W. Hugus in 1877, the company operated numerous general and dry goods stores in southern Wyoming and western Colorado. The building was designed by the prominent Denver architectural firm of Fisher and Fisher. When Hugus decided to liquidate his assets in 1919, the building was purchased by the retailing firm of A. Oldland and Company. (1996 photograph.)
Rio Blanco County High School
555 Garfield St.
State Register 3/10/1993, 5RB.2667
The 1924 two-story building of rough-cut thinly coursed local sandstone includes a gymnasium wing extending from the rear of the rectangular classroom portion. The floor plan is typical of secondary educational facilities built during the period. Designed by noted architect Robert K. Fuller, the building served as the county’s only high school facility from 1924 until 1951. (1992 photograph.)
St. James Episcopal Church
368 4th St.
National Register 3/30/1978, 5RB.983
Constructed in 1890, this stone building was the first church in Meeker and one of the oldest Episcopal churches in Colorado. The main entrance is topped by a unique bell tower faced with wood shingles. (2000 photograph.)
Cañon Pintado Historic District
Colo. Hwy. 139
National Register 10/6/1975, 5RB.984
Because of the arid nature of the area, the archeological sites within the district are well preserved. Early pictographs and accompanying cultural material represent the eastern periphery of the Fremont culture, which developed out of Utah between AD 800 and 1150. (1996 photograph.)
Carrot Men Pictograph Site
Southwest of Rangely
National Register 8/22/1975, 5RB.106
The cliffs above this prehistoric campsite retain rock art typical of the Fremont people who resided in Utah and central and western Colorado from AD 800 to 1150. (ca. 1996 photograph.)
National Register 8/27/1980, 5RB.820
This repeatedly utilized cultural site has the potential to yield important information about prehistoric land use patterns and population movements between core and marginal use areas. (1978 photograph.)
Fremont Lookout Fortification Site
National Register 11/20/1974, 5RB.344
The lookout is on the eastern periphery of the Fremont cultural area which was occupied from AD400 until AD1150 by agricultural peoples who cultivated corn, beans and squash. The Fremont people built the stone lookout to defend their fields and hunting areas, and it is the only known example of such a defensive structure in Colorado.
Pyramid Guard Station
County Rd. 8, Yampa vicinity
National Register 1/10/2008, 5RB.2882
United States Forest Service (USFS) administrative sites like the Pyramid Guard Station represent the evolution of the agency’s mission from basic custodianship to extensive resource management and conservation. This shift manifested itself in the placement of ranger/guard stations within the forests, allowing rangers to react quickly to resource threats. The Pyramid buildings represent the 1930s Civilian Conservation Corps / USFS ethics of conservation, efficiency and working for the public good. Begun in 1934 as one of the first CCC-built complexes in the state, Pyramid is an excellent example of the kind of work done by the CCC in the national forests during the Great Depression. The dwelling, combination building, barn, blacksmith shop and wood shed typify administrative buildings of the USFS Rocky Mountain Region during the CCC era and are excellent examples of Rustic style architecture. The buildings exhibit key style characteristics such as log walls, overhanging eaves with exposed rafters, small paned windows, and the use of local materials in construction. The buildings reflect a local manifestation of a regional style mandated by the USFS for rural areas. (2005 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.55 MB).