Sitting atop a steep rocky knoll, the 1935 Bain Cabin is a privately-owned cabin built within the Roosevelt National Forest under the parameters of the Forest Service’s Recreation Residence program, which sought to connect people to the national forests via the facilitation of private recreational developments. Constructed of hand-stacked, uncut, local stone, the cabin was used seasonally each summer for recreation, enjoyment, and solitude. It is an exceptional example of the form and intent of the recreation residence movement and features the characteristics of Rustic style architecture, such as hand craftsmanship and blending into its natural setting.
Johnson Stage Station
County Rd 64, Powderhorn vicinity
National Register 8/28/2017, 5GN.6070
From 1884-1897, the Johnson Stage Station served stage freight traffic to and from the mining regions of Lake City and the Gunnison Gold Belt as part of a road network that funneled goods and machinery for distribution to regional mines and settlements. Ore and mill products flowed in reverse, to the railroad for shipment to smelters in Denver and Cañon City. Johnson Stage Station was well-situated to serve freight traffic, with wagons stopping overnight to refresh driver and team. Beginning in 1890, following the death of Charlie Johnson and new ownership under Nathan Carr, the property also functioned as a ranch. The historic district includes examples of Pioneer Log construction and a small cemetery of Carr family members. In 1967 the property was sold and ranching ceased.
Ute-Ulay Mine and Mill
County Road 20, Lake City vicinity
National Register, 10/26/2017, 5HN.77
The Ute-Ulay Mine and Mill is a representative large-scale silver and lead mining and milling complex which was one of the most productive in the Lake City area. In 1876 the Ute-Ulay began to undergo industrial-scale mining by the Crooke Brothers, and operated under a variety of owners through 1903, when complex ores were encountered that defied profitable separation. Once new technologies were developed in dealing with these complex ores, a new mill was completed in 1930 and the mine and mill operated on a commercial scale again into the middle 1940s. Thereafter, mining and milling was conducted sporadically in the early 1950s and the mid-1960s. The community of Henson grew up around the mine and mill beginning in 1876 and lasting until 1903. The prosperity of the mine and mill operation was the prime economic force that resulted in the establishment and growth of nearby Lake City. The mine and mill district has an intact collection of buildings, equipment, and mining and milling elements indicative and representative of the adaptation of mining in Colorado’s mountains through historically state-of-the-art technologies. The district contains archaeological deposits that are likely to yield important information about the historic use of the property industrially and as a place of residence. Listed under Hinsdale County Metal Mining and Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submissions. More information (PDF).
Bergen Park Church
1318 County Rd. 65, Evergreen
State Register 6/01/2018, 5JF.5182
The Bergen Park Church is a good example of a Modern Movement building with Rustic-style influences. In 1949, the church acquired the ca. 1885 Soda Creek School schoolhouse, expanding it to meet the needs of its growing congregation. In 1962 a new sanctuary was built and connected to the former schoolhouse. Modern Movement aesthetics are evident in the large striking sanctuary with its vertical-pane stained glass windows and sharply angled front-gable roof. Rustic-style elements include the D-log siding installed in 1962 and the rock-faced concrete buttresses that support the sanctuary walls. More information (PDF).
Rock Island Snow Plow No. 95580
Limon Heritage Museum, 899 First Street, Limon
National Register 7/23/2018, 5LN.579
The Rock Island Snow Plow No. 95580 sits on rails it originally cleared in the 1950s-’80s within the environs of the Limon Heritage Museum, which includes the National Register-listed Limon Railroad Depot. More information (PDF)
TBM Avenger Aircraft N53503
780 Heritage Way, Grand Junction Regional Airport
National Register 11/13/2017, State Register 1/27/2017, 5ME.21405
The Torpedo Bomber M (TBM) Avenger Aircraft N53503 is a World War II single engine torpedo bomber in flying condition. The military aircraft was manufactured by General Motors’ Eastern Aircraft division in 1945, and accepted for service by the United States Navy’s Bureau of Ordnance later that same year. The aircraft is an increasingly rare example of the carrier-based torpedo bomber aircraft that had a prominent role in U.S. naval operations during World War II. Character-defining features include its folding wings, which allowed for efficient storage on the aircraft carrier deck between deployments, and the tail hook arresting gear, which allowed the plane to stop within the short amount of space on the deck when landing. More information (PDF).
National Register 11/13/2017, 5MT.1905
Occupied from A.D. 700-1225, the Haynie site is associated with the expansion of Chaco influence into the Mesa Verde region. The establishment of a political and ceremonial center at Chaco and the subsequent expansion of Chaco influence is one of the iconic events in pre-Columbian history of the United States. As much as any Chaco outlier in the Mesa Verde region, the Haynie site has the potential to increase our understanding of how Chaco influence spread throughout the region due to its unique architectural details and long occupation span. The site also embodies distinctive architectural characteristics that first developed at great houses at Chaco Canyon. Archaeological investigation of the site is highly likely to yield information important in prehistory or history. The Haynie Site meets the registration requirements for a Great Pueblo Period habitation site with public architecture as established in the Great Pueblo Period in the McElmo Drainage Unit, A.D. 1075-1300 Multiple Property Documentation Form
Santa Fe Trail Mountain Route Trail Segments – Iron Springs Vicinity Address restricted
National Register listed 8/25/2017, 5OT.234.41
These trail segments are part of the larger Santa Fe Trail Mountain Route that provided a vital transportation link between the United States and the newly independent Mexico fostering not only commercial trade, but also establishing social ties that were pivotal to regional development and expansion of the United States from 1832-1879. Contrary to popular perception, the Santa Fe Trail was not a single trail with two branches, but a complex transportation system made up of various routes, starting points, and destinations. The sites contain visible trail ruts of the Santa Fe Trail Mountain Route where merchants, trappers, traders, explorers, settlers, gold seekers, health seekers, religious missionaries, entrepreneurs, investors, Native Americans, and the military were among the various individuals who traveled the route. They journeyed by foot, horseback, pack animals, wagons, and stagecoaches along the internationally known travel route. The trail segments are nationally significant in the areas of transportation, commerce, military, and exploration/ settlement. They also have the potential to provide information relevant to aboriginal and non-aboriginal historical archaeology. These trail segments were listed in association with and met the requirements of the Historic Resources of the Santa Fe Trail, 1821-1880 Multiple Property Documentation Form (MPDF).
South Platte River Bridge
County Road 90a, Lake George vicinity
National Register 3/22/2018, 5PA.1250
The South Platte River Bridge is an intact reminder of the historic highway route (variously designated State Highway 8, State Highway 4, U.S. Highway 40 South, and U.S. Highway 24) between Colorado Springs and southern Park County, which was an important transportation corridor long before Euro-American settlement. Built in 1920, the bridge is a relatively early use of concrete construction for state highway bridges. Its concrete slab and girder design is reflective of changing bridge standards and the design policy of the Colorado Highway Department (now known as CDOT) in the 1920s. The bridge ceased carrying mainline traffic when the route was re-aligned over another bridge immediately to the north in 1936. Listed under the Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission. More Information (PDF).
Tarryall Rural Historic District
County Road 77, Mileposts 2.4 to 33.7 & 34.6 to 41.8, Jefferson vicinity
National Register 11/1/2017, 5PA.879
The 27,861-acre Tarryall Rural Historic District extends approximately 39.4 miles along the Tarryall Road from just south of Jefferson to U.S. Highway 24 northwest of the small community of Lake George. Since pioneer development of the wagon road in 1862 and the beginning of permanent settlement in the mid-1860s, inhabitants have left their stamp on the continuously evolving landscape in subtle and dramatic ways. The district embraces the full range of historic activities along the Tarryall, including twenty-five historic livestock ranch headquarters and hay-raising and grazing areas associated with the area’s ranching history. Some ranches include historic archaeological sites and ruins. In addition, resources include two one-room schools, three old road segments, three cemeteries, two timber bridges, and buildings associated with the former mining community of Tarryall/Puma City. The area’s recreational history is reflected in two dude/guest ranches; a reservoir, dam, and buildings associated with early twentieth century fish hatching efforts and later recreation; two U.S. Forest Service campgrounds; and individual ranch cabins rented to visitors. More Information (PDF).
Truxaw & Kruger Grocery/Seldin’s Cash Grocery
319 Centre Ave., New Raymer
National Register 6/01/2018, 5WL.8197
The 1909 Truxaw & Kruger Grocery/Seldin’s Cash Grocery is important for housing commercial businesses that contributed to the development of New Raymer as a railroad and market town for the surrounding dryland farming and ranching district. The succession of stores that occupied the building provided the community with a variety of essential goods, including groceries, clothing, notions, feed products, household equipment, and farm implements until 1957 when the building ceased to be used as a store. The building is also important for housing the New Raymer post office between 1940 and 1957, providing community members with postal services, a source of community pride, and a tangible connection to their federal government. More information (PDF).