Douglas Crossing Bridge
County Rd. 28
National Register 2/4/1985, 5PW.44
Constructed in 1936 of locally quarried stone by an eight-man Works Progress Administration crew, this filled arch was faced with rusticated stone and features six, 14-foot span, semicircular arches springing from battered piers. It served as an important crossing for the nearby agricultural community. The property is associated with the Highway Bridges in Colorado and the New Deal Resources on Colorado’s Eastern Plains Multiple Property Submissions. (2005 photograph.)
US Hwy. 385, Granada vicinity
National Register 10/15/2002, 5PW.114
Designed by the Colorado Department of Highways, fabricated by Burkhardt Steel Company, and constructed by C.L. Hubner Company, the 1949 steel stringer bridge runs for 423 feet across the Arkansas River. It was one of several bridges constructed over the river during the 1930s and 1940s that replaced timber or steel trusses constructed between 1890 and 1910. Consisting of five spans, the longest of which extends 90 feet, the bridge is notable for its relatively long spans and excellent state of preservation. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (1999 photograph.)
Granada Relocation Center / Camp Amache
Approximately 1 mile southwest of Granada
State Register 3/9/1994, National Register 5/18/1994, National Historic Landmark, 1/16/2009, 5PW.48
The site is nationally significant as one of ten camps which housed Japanese Americans from 1942 to 1945 following their forced removal from the West Coast by military authorities. More than ten thousand persons passed through the camp which at its peak contained 7,318 Japanese Americans, nearly all of whom were former California residents and two-thirds of whom were United States citizens. Under a presidential executive order, the forced "evacuation" of Japanese Americans was justified on the basis of "military necessity" in the months following Japan’s attack on Pearl Harbor and the professed inability of the military to gauge the loyalty of individual Japanese Americans. (1942 photograph.) More information (PDF, 12.1 MB).
For information about the State Historical Fund’s participation in the preservation of this property see the Project Snapshot.
State Register 3/13/1996, 5PW.74
The circa 1938 gymnasium is associated with New Deal programs in Prowers County. The building is the only example of Works Progress Administration construction in Hartman and one of only a few such projects in the county. Its use as a community center continues to contribute to the social history of Hartman.
Holly City Hall
119 E. Cheyenne St.
State Register 6/11/2003, National Register 10/11/2003, 5PW.175
The 1938 Holly City Hall held the town’s police and fire departments, library, and a multi-use community room. The Holly City Hall served effectively for over sixty years as an important center of town life. The Depression-era Works Progress Administration (WPA) used local labor and materials to construct the hall as a town sponsored project. The building typifies the simple but dignified designs used by the WPA for city hall and courthouse construction. The property is associated with the New Deal Resources on Colorado’s Eastern Plains Multiple Property Submission. (2001 photograph.)
North Main St.
National Register 4/24/2007, 5PW.268
Built under the auspices of the Works Progress Administration, the building is associated with the federal relief programs administered in Eastern Colorado during the Great Depression. Providing employment and increased job skills for the area’s unemployed, construction began on the Holly Gym in 1936 utilizing a locally quarried chalk-like stone - Niobrara. The WPA created an opportunity to provide the town with a more “progressive” educational facility. This was the first school gymnasium in Holly, which not only functioned for athletic education, but was also used for music classes and the hot lunch program. This building was the community’s first modern recreational facility. The Holly Gym reflects the functional design and use of local materials that is characteristic of WPA buildings. Some of the largest examples of New Deal resources in eastern Colorado were the prominent auditorium/gymnasium buildings. The property is associated with the New Deal Resources on Colorado’s Eastern Plains Multiple Property Submission. (2005 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.14 MB).
Holly SS Ranch Barn
407 W. Vinson
National Register 2/25/2004, 5PW.172
The 1879 Holly SS Ranch Barn was part of the earliest period of settlement and development of Prowers County by farmers and ranchers. The SS Ranch with one of the earliest and largest cattle ranches in the region. Hiram Holly established the ranch at a time when Colorado’s early dependence on mining ventures increasingly gave way to agricultural development. The ultimate inception of the town of Holly was an outgrowth of the Holly SS Ranch. The barn is one of the earliest and most well preserved stone barns in southeast Colorado, displaying the construction techniques, architectural details, and material usage of the pioneering period in Colorado. Native stone construction constitutes an important late 19th and early 20th century building tradition in southeastern Colorado. (2002 photograph.)
Holly Santa Fe Depot (Town Hall)
302 S. Main St.
National Register 7/28/1995, 5PW.73
The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad built the brick second-generation depot in 1912. The Mission Revival style building was a combination-type depot, handling both passengers and freight. It is one of only four in Colorado possessing the Mission Revival style detailing that became a trademark of the Santa Fe. The community converted the building in 1999 to serve as its town hall. The property is associated with the Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission. (1995 photograph.)
Alta Vista School
8785 Road LL, vicinity of Lamar
State Register 6/9/1999, 5PW.42
Constructed in 1917, the two-level red brick building remains a good local example of a rural school district’s commitment to provide the space required to offer its students a broader educational program than found in the one-room building it replaced. The building has remained in continuous use as a public school since its construction and now houses the Alta Vista Charter School. (1999 photograph.)
Davies Hotel / Payne Hotel
122 N. Main St.
National Register 10/19/1978, 5PW.25
The Davies Hotel is typical of the numerous small town hotels whose location near the railroad depot provided them with a steady stream of lodgers. The builders of the 1902 hotel utilized locally quarried sandstone for the exterior walls. (1977 photograph.)
Lamar Post Office
300 S. 5th St.
National Register 1/22/1986, 5PW.43
The property has been associated with agriculture in the Lamar area since Claus Paulsen established the farm in 1901. Between 1910 and 1915, Paulsen represented the Payne Investment Company of Omaha, Nebraska, and in this capacity escorted would-be homesteaders from the Midwest to new homes in southeast Colorado. The farmhouse is a good local example of the Foursquare-type of dwelling. The barn is an important surviving example of a once popular but increasingly rare type of wood frame gambrel-roofed barn, a type often replaced by more modern agricultural buildings or lost with the transformation of agricultural lands to other uses. (1999 photograph.)
Petticrew Stage Stop
State Register 3/8/2000, National Register 8/24/2000, 5PW.62
In the early 1890s, the John L. Petticrew family settled in southern Prowers County and operated a stage stop between Lamar and Springfield. The house, barn and associated rock walls are good, intact examples of sandstone construction utilizing locally quarried stone as designed and executed by the property owner. The barn is also a rare surviving example of a stone bank barn. The complex is notable as a cultural landscape in which the sandstone buildings and retaining walls appear to spring organically from the natural shelter and seclusion of the creek bottom. The recessed location blocks views of modern intrusions and enhances the historical feeling of the complex as an isolated stop on the Lamar to Springfield stage. (1986 photograph.)
Prowers County Building / Prowers County Courthouse
301 S. Main St.
National Register 9/21/1981, 5PW.27
The 1929 courthouse served as the center of county political and governmental activity. Denver architect Robert K. Fuller designed the elegant Neo-classical building constructed of Indiana limestone. The entrance and main corridor frieze feature panels displaying carved depictions of the registered cattle brands in Prowers County at the time of the building’s construction. (1981 photograph.)
Prowers County Welfare Housing
800 E. Maple St.
National Register 12/22/2009, 5PW.259
The Prowers County Welfare Housing is important for its association with President Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal legislative agenda to rescue the United States from the Great Depression. Constructed by the WPA, between 1938 and 1941, the Prowers County Welfare Housing presents an important record of the federal relief programs administered in Colorado’s Eastern Plains during the Great Depression. The construction of the housing complex provided much-needed employment in Prowers County over several years. The housing complex also represents a remarkable effort by Prowers County to provide public housing for its needy. It is the only complex of the kind constructed in eastern Colorado. New Deal public housing projects were primarily limited to urban areas. Additionally, the Welfare Housing property is an excellent example of the WPA Rustic Style. Rustic characteristics featured in the buildings include the use of native stone, traditional construction methods, evident hand craftsmanship, and simple, functional design. The Prowers County Welfare Housing meets the registration requirements under the New Deal Resources on Colorado’s Eastern Plains Multiple Property Documentation Form (MPDF). The Prowers County Welfare Housing meets the registration requirements of one property type delineated in the MPDF-Social Welfare Buildings (subtype: Welfare Housing and Offices).
Willow Creek Park
Memorial Drive, Parkview Ave. and Willow Valley Rd.
National Register 8/10/2007, 5PW.56
The park is associated with several Great Depression era federal relief programs. Constructed between 1933 and 1938 under the Civil Works Administration (CWA), the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) and the Works Progress Administration (WPA), creation of the park provided a source of employment in Lamar during much of the Depression. Willow Creek Park was Colorado’s first CWA project and the first planned park in Lamar, providing a location for active and passive recreation activities. A prominent feature of the city, the park’s buildings and stone features are good examples of the Rustic style as interpreted by New Deal agencies. Characteristics include the use of native stone; traditional construction methods; evident hand craftsmanship; and simple functional design. The property is associated with the New Deal Resources on Colorado’s Eastern Plains Multiple Property Submission. (2005 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.25 MB).
Wiley Rock Schoolhouse
603 Main St.
National Register 2/20/2004, 5PW.196
The 1938 building served as an annex to the adjacent high school and provided space for classes in agriculture, a blacksmith shop for manual training, and a sound-proof music room for the band and orchestra. While successfully serving these purposes, the building went on to provide other educational opportunities. The Depression-era Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook the construction of the school district sponsored project. The school typifies the WPA’s use of local labor and local materials. The simple stone building exhibits creative masonry technique and quality craftsmanship. The property is associated with the New Deal Resources on Colorado’s Eastern Plains Multiple Property Submission. (2003 photograph.)