County Rd. 49 between County Rds. 23 and 34
National Register listed 2/2/2016, 5PL.163
The 1917 Oltjenbruns Farm is an excellent example of a family farming operation, associated with both the farming boom of the 1910s and the dramatic changes in farming practices at the mid-twentieth century. A German immigrant who operated several farms in Nebraska before moving to Phillips County, August Welper was a general farmer who planted dryland wheat and alfalfa and raised horses, cows, and chickens. The proceeds from supplying butter, cream, and milk to the Amherst community helped the family make it through the Great Depression. The collection of neatly ordered frame buildings is sheltered by a large windbreak of trees representing the working landscape that evolved and reflects changes in the agricultural economy. The property meets the registration requirements outlined in the Historic Resources of Phillips County Multiple Property Documentation Form. More information (PDF, 771 kb)
St. Paul’s Lutheran Church
300 Monmouth Ave.
State Register 12/12/2001, 5PL.52
The 1931 church was designed by prominent Denver architect Eugene G. Groves and continues to serve the congregation. The front gabled roof one-story brick building rests on a slightly raised concrete basement. On the façade, a tripartite segmental arched stained glass window, surrounded by cast stone trim, is centered above the small front gabled entry. The interior features a vaulted ceiling supported by four exposed wood trusses. Although Groves designed numerous educational and governmental buildings throughout Colorado, this is the only religious building he is known to have designed during his prolific fifty-year practice. (2000 photograph.)
The Evergreen Corner Rural Historic Landscape is significant for its association with the development agriculture in Phillips County from the farming boom of the 1910s through the agricultural changes of the mid-twentieth century. Though the land was originally homesteaded in 1887, it passed through a series of non-resident land owners for the next three decades until purchased by Henry Flaker in 1917. Flaker is responsible for establishing the farmstead as it appears today, constructing the house, barn, tankhouse, and outhouse for his hog farm. Later a Quonset hut and an expanded grain storage for a cattle feed lot replaced Flaker’s hog barn and pens. It is also an excellent example of a Phillips County farmstead from the first half of the twentieth century. The white frame buildings clustered around a central farmyard are characteristic of early twentieth century Phillips County farms while the Quonset hut, metal bins, and corral are characteristic of mid-twentieth century expansion. More information (PDF, 2.59 MB).
County Rd. 21 between County Rds. 30 and 32
National Register listed 2/2/2016, 5PL.226
The Harms Farm family farming operation reflects farming trends in Phillips County between the 1910s boom and the evolution from diversified farming to more specialized farming operations in the mid-twentieth century. Although the land was originally claimed the land under the Timber Culture Act in 1894, the current farm dates to 1917 with crops of dryland wheat, corn, and millet. Additionally, livestock consisted of sheep, dairy cows, chickens, and hogs. At its peak, the Harms Farm had 1,000 lambs and 4,000 chickens, making it one of the largest producers in the county. The farm has architecturally significant buildings dating to the early years of the farm along with buildings showing the evolution of the farm operations, including a Quonset. The property meets the registration requirements outlined in the Historic Resources of Phillips County Multiple Property Documentation Form. More information (PDF, 1.47 MB)
First National Bank of Haxtun (Haxtun Town Hall)
145 S. Colorado Ave.
National Register 7/1/1986, 5PL.3
The 1917 bank closed in 1932 as part of the general economic collapse during the Great Depression. The city purchased the building in 1939 for use as the city hall. It is a good example of the Neo-Classical style and includes marble pilasters, pediments, and cornices. The interior retains its marble baseboards and teller plates, terrazzo floors, wood room dividers with leaded and etched glass, and beamed ceiling. (1997 photograph.)
Shirley Hotel (Haxtun Inn)
101 S. Colorado Ave.
State Register 8/8/2001, National Register 3/28/2002, 5PL.37
Constructed in 1921, the two-story, dark red brick building has a long association with the commercial history of Haxtun. The Shirley functioned as the community’s last and longest operating hotel, providing lodging and meals to railroad and automobile travelers. (2001 photograph.)
Hargreaves Homestead Rural Historic District
Hwy. 385 between CR 10 and CR 12, Holyoke vicinity
National Register 12/3/2013, 5PL.24
The 320-acre Hargreaves Homestead district has been family owned since its establishment. Henry Hargreaves, an emigrant from Liverpool, England, filed a pre-emption claim on the southwest quarter of the section in spring 1887. Hargreaves’ highly successful farming and ranching operation was touted in circa -1920s promotional brochures published by the railroad. In 1964, the Hargreaves installed a new flood irrigation system, switching crop production from dryland wheat to irrigated corn. The property meets the registration requirements outlined in the Historic Resources of Phillips County Multiple Property Documentation Form. More information (PDF, 419 kb).
W.E. Heginbotham House (Holyoke Public Library)
539 S. Baxter
National Register 3/8/1988, 5PL.5
Will Heginbotham hired contractor Michael McEachern in 1919 to construct this one-and-one-half-story building of red molded brick, with half timbered gable ends. The site consists of the late Craftsman Style house finished in 1921, a matching garage and covered gateways, and landscaped grounds. Heginbotham was president and owner of the Farmer’s and Merchant’s Bank and very active in civic affairs. He left his entire estate to the town of Holyoke and Phillips County, and the home is now the Holyoke Public Library.
Millage Farm Rural Historic District
CR 18 between CR 37 and Hwy. 385, Holyoke
National Register 12/3/2013, 5PL.110
In the family since 1906, Millage Farm district occupies 160 acres. The property is locally significant for agriculture for its long association with dryland farming and livestock production in Phillips County for the period 1906-1963. It is also significant architecturally as an excellent example of a mid-twentieth century farming complex with farm buildings of a type, period or method of construction representative of the mid-century evolution of such complexes locally between 1920 and 1960. The property meets the registration requirements outlined in the Historic Resources of Phillips County Multiple Property Documentation Form. More information (PDF, 471 kb).
Phillips County Courthouse
221 Interocean Ave.
National Register 12/28/2007, 5PL.19
Constructed by the Public Works Administration (PWA), the Phillips County Courthouse represents President Roosevelt’s New Deal legislative agenda to bring America out of the Great Depression. The courthouse is the only surviving PWA project in Phillips County and the most intact of all the county’s New Deal projects. The brick building with terra cotta trim is an example of the Moderne style applied to a government building constructed with PWA funds and designed by a prominent Denver architect, Eugene Groves. The building is associated with the governing of Phillips County, serving continuously as the courthouse since 1936. The property is associated with the New Deal Resources on Colorado’s Eastern Plains Multiple Property Submission. (1997 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.25 MB).
Reimer-Smith Oil Station
109 S. Campbell Ave.
National Register 4/21/2000, 5PL.51
The 1927 Reimer-Smith Oil Station is an excellent intact example of a rapidly disappearing form of the 1920s era "house with canopy"type of gas station. The station is also an important example of the use of pressed metal as an interior and exterior wall treatment. The Reimer-Oil Station is one of the best surviving examples of the use of pressed metal in early 20th century Colorado. Members of the Phillips County Historical Society rescued the building from demolition in 1998 by moving it to the grounds of their museum. (2002 photograph.)
Sawyer House / Sears Hotel (Burge Hotel)
230 N. Interocean
State Register 6/14/1995, 5PL.31
The Sawyer House / Sears Hotel is associated with the commercial development of the Holyoke community. The original section dates from 1887. Subsequent additions accommodated the hotel’s growing trade. (2006 photograph.)