During the first decades of the 20th century, advances in concrete manufacturing and the development of easy to use concrete block forming machines led to the use of ornamental concrete block in both residential and commercial construction. Although rockfaced block finishes were most widely used, other patterns included paneled, ashlar stone, cobble, rusticated, and decorative wreaths and garlands. As concrete block machines could readily be obtained from mail order catalogs and due to the ability of a single unskilled laborer to operate the machines, many individual home owners fabricated all the ornamental concrete blocks necessary to construct their own houses. Commercial builders also used the blocks for the construction of small hotels, retail offices, and warehouse buildings. (Cover documentation accepted by National Register in 1997, accepted for State Register 6/9/2004.) Multiple Property Documentation Form (PDF, 2.60 MB).
Colorado Sanitary Canning Factory
224 N. Main Street
National Register 3/15/2016, 5AM.3221
First Baptist Church
408 State Ave.
National Register 5/22/2005, 5AL.259
603 Main St.
State Register 5/14/1997, National Register 1/23/1998, 5CT.265
1812 Colo. Hwy. 65
National Register 11/17/1997, 5DT.1076
Fremont County Maintenance Shop
130 N. 3rd St.
State Register 9/9/1998, 5FN.591
2673 McManus Rd., Pagosa Springs vicinity
National Register 4/28/2005, 5HN.642
Harry & Lilly Phillips House
798 N. Mesa St.
National Register 11/13/1997, 5ME.7381
Hayden Rooming House
295 S. Poplar St.
National Register 9/17/1999, 5RT.1361
First Baptist Church of Moffat
401 Lincoln Ave.
National Register 7/24/2008, 5SH.1020
5255 Colo. Hwy. 60
National Register 10/6/2004, 5WL.4810