Creede Branch, Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad
South Fork to Creede
National Register 11/27/2002, 5RN.515.1 / 5ML.273.8
The 22.8-mile long Creede Branch originated significant rail traffic from the railroad’s nearby gold and silver mining operations. Although the complete rail line dates to 1891, the conversion of the branch from narrow to standard gauge dates from 1902. The branch line survives as a virtually intact example of early 20th century railroad construction. It retains its 1902 alignment, railbed and jointed rail with ties, as well as the contemporary bridges, two depots, water tank, and related track-side setting. Listed under Railroads in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Creede Federal Fish Hatchery
1984 Forest Rd. 801A
State Register 9/11/1996, 5ML.288
Established in 1929, the Creede Federal Fish Hatchery operated for 36 years as one of two federal hatcheries in the state. The hatchery significantly aided in the preservation of important native and sport fish populations through its programs of raising and stocking fish in Colorado streams, rivers and lakes.
Rio Grande Depot (Creede Museum)
201 Wall St.
State Register 11/9/1994, 5ML.24
After reaching Creede in 1892, the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad provided the mining district with an outlet for its ore while bringing in the necessities and occasional luxuries of life in a Colorado mining district. The depot, built in 1903 as a replacement for the original facility, served as the hub of this transportation activity until its closure in 1949. (1997 photograph.)
Rio Grande Hotel
209 W. 2nd St.
State Register 6/14/1995, 5ML.283
The Rio Grande Hotel was constructed circa 1892 to relieve the extreme housing shortage resulting from the area’s silver mining boom. The hotel was one of only a few wood structures to survive the town’s devastating 1892 fire. (ca. 2000 photograph.)
For information about the State Historical Fund’s participation in the preservation of this property see the Project Snapshot.
County Rd., 6 miles southwest of Creede
National Register 7/11/1985, 5ML.27
Constructed in 1935, on Colo. Hwy. 149 in the Rio Grande National Forest, it was moved to Mineral County to provide access to the Marshall Park Campground. King Burghardt’s design features a riveted, eleven-panel steel modified Pratt deck truss. The bridge is structurally significant for its cantilevered ends. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (1981 photograph.)
Wagon Wheel Gap Railroad Station
Southeast of Creede at Wagon Wheel Gap
National Register 9/27/1976, 5ML.23
First established as a resort community, the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad reached the area in 1883 with its narrow gauge tracks and constructed the wood frame depot. The depot served as the western terminus of this branch of the D&RG until major silver discoveries at Creede in 1891 caused the railroad to extend its rails to the mining community. Passenger service ended after World War II. The depot exhibits the characteristics of many one and one half story wood frame depots built by the D&RG during the late 19th century. Listed under Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission.