Wells Rock House
State Register 2/28/2008, 5LO.623
The 1910 house is a good local example of an early 20th century masonry building constructed with native stone. The house is one of the few remaining known examples of stone construction in Logan County. Native stone from the surrounding area was used to build the house and stone barn; the barn is no longer standing, leaving only the house to convey the early history of this homestead. Houses constructed of stone from the homesteading period are somewhat rare in the county, making the Wells Rock House an important local resource. (2007 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.21 MB).
27015 County Rd. 67, Proctor vicinity
State Register 2/24/2006, 5LO.565
The Debus Farm is representative of the agrarian heritage of Logan County, an early 20th century leader in the northeastern Colorado sugar beet industry. Sugar beets were the cash crop for many families, as is evidenced by the number of Germans from Russia who brought their agricultural mastery of sugar beet farming when they settled in Colorado. The farm is an architecturally significant collection of early 20th century agricultural outbuildings. The barn and the simple type of outbuildings are rarely found today on farmsteads due to improvements in agricultural technology. Many have been replaced by metal prefabricated buildings. More information (PDF, 3.2 MB).
Powell & Blair Stone Ranch
North of junction of US Hwy. 138 and County Rd. 6, Proctor vicinity
National Register 4/6/2004, 5LO.478
The Powell and Blair Stone Ranch ranch house, built between 1897 and 1898, is representative of the most common version of the American Foursquare, with its simple square plan, low-pitched hipped roof, and symmetrical facade. The house, bunkhouse, and stone outbuilding are significant for their use of locally quarried stone. William J. Powell and his family were early settlers in Logan County, arriving in the area in the mid-1870s. Powell and his mother-in-law later accomplished two 160-acre homestead claims north of Proctor in 1890 that would become the nucleus of the Powell and Blair Stone Ranch. Stone Ranch was developed between 1895 and 1898 and was considered one of the most modern self-contained and self-maintained ranches in the region at that time. (2003 photograph.)
All Saints Episcopal Church
208 Phelps St.
State Register 3/8/2000, 5LO.437
Constructed in 1915, the red brick, Late Gothic Revival style church is a relatively small building that includes a considerable amount of detailing in its brickwork and the tracery of its Gothic arched stained glass windows. The building remains in use by the founding congregation, and much of the original interior remains intact. (1999 photograph.)
Downtown Sterling Historic District
Roughly bordered by Poplar, Front, Ash & 4th streets and Division Ave.
National Register 8/13/2013, 5LO.829
The Downtown Sterling Historic District is significant for its long association of providing the residents of Sterling and surrounding areas with goods and services since 1896. Sterling has been a major agricultural center, key railroad junction, commercial center, and regional center of government for northeastern Colorado and parts of western Nebraska. It is the largest city between Denver and North Platte, Nebraska. The district encompasses approximately eight square blocks and a total of 88 resources, 54 of which are considered contributing.
German Congregational Zion Church
5th & Chestnut Sts.
State Register 8/8/2001, 5LO.435
The 1927, blond brick Gothic Revival style building is important for its association with a specific ethnic group, Germans from Russia. The Zion Church served as a major factor in assisting these Eastern European immigrants to retain their language, heritage, and sense of community. It remains the oldest surviving church in Sterling founded by Germans from Russia. (2001 photograph.)
First United Presbyterian Church
130 S. 4th St.
National Register 6/3/1982, 5LO.37
The 1919 First Presbyterian Church is one of Sterling’s most outstanding structures architecturally and a major local landmark because of its visual qualities. The buff brick building, with limestone trim, exhibits the Neoclassical style. A distinctive brick drum with a metal clad dome crowns the building. (1997 photograph.)
W.C. Harris House
102 Taylor St.
National Register 5/17/1984, 5LO.41
William Harris constructed his Foursquare type residence circa 1910. Harris, a prominent cattleman in the Sterling area, was involved with irrigation projects and served in the state legislature in 1901-1902.
I & M Building
223 Main St.
National Register 6/3/1982, 5LO.152
This 1920 two-story commercial building, with Georgian Revival detailing, was designed by Denver architect Eugene Groves. (1980 photograph.)
Logan County Courthouse
315 Main St.
National Register 2/22/1979, 5LO.35
Constructed in 1909, this architecturally significant building includes many classical elements and elaborate ornamentation. The interior is dominated by a central rotunda.
Conrad Luft Sr. House
1429 Colo. Hwy. 14
National Register 5/17/1984, 5LO.40
This Queen Anne style residence, with multi-gables, corner cutaways yielding semi-octagonal ended rooms, and Colonial detailing, was constructed on Poplar Street in 1902 by the Hoffman brothers, local carpenters, as their own residence. In 1925, Conrad Luft, Sr., a successful cattleman, bought the house and had it moved to its current location. It is uncommon among Sterling residential buildings, which are generally modest in detail and lack the architectural distinction of the Luft House.
Pantall Elementary School
1215 N. 5th St.
National Register 7/14/2015, 5LO.902
The 1953 Pantall Elementary School was one of four elementary schools that served Sterling, Pantall continuing that role until 2007. Renowned Denver architect Eugene D. Sternberg in partnership with Sterling architect Robert J. Murrin designed the International style school to embrace and convey progress, modernity, safety, and efficiency. It has an asymmetrical plan, horizontal lines, flat or very low-pitched roofs, horizontally-oriented window arrangements, and natural light from clerestory windows. A state-of-the-art intercom system for the time along with the most modern mechanical and electrical systems provided a safer and more positive learning environment than schools built in earlier decades. More information (PDF, 715kb).
St. Anthony’s Roman Catholic Church
329 S. 3rd St.
National Register 6/3/1982, 5LO.38
St. Anthony’s Roman Catholic Church, a red brick Romanesque Revival style structure, with a flat-roofed two-story tower on one side of the gabled nave and a three-story tower with pyramidal roof on the other, was begun in 1910 and dedicated in 1911. Historically, it is significant in its connection with the Catholic immigrants, Italians, Irish, and German-Russians who settled in the area. (ca. 1998 photograph.)
Sterling Main Post Office, Federal Building, & Courthouse
3rd & Poplar Sts.
National Register 1/22/1986, 5LO.39
Constructed in 1930, the building is a well-executed example of Neo-Classical design and represents the end of the Beaux-Arts tradition that dominated the first 20 years of the 20th century. Constructed as a post office and federal court, it remains one of Sterling’s most imposing buildings. Listed under U.S. Post Offices in Colorado Thematic Resource. (1983 photograph.)
Sterling Public Library
210 S. 4th St.
State Register 8/8/2001, National Register 10/20/2001, 5LO.469
The 1918 Sterling Public Library is associated with the nationwide public library movement sponsored by Andrew Carnegie. The dark brown and tan brick building was the town’s first public library and typifies the basic design standards first set forth by the Carnegie Corporation in 1911 for small community libraries funded by the company.
Sterling Union Pacific Railroad Depot
113 N. Front St.
National Register 2/6/1986, 5LO.188
The 1902 building exhibits the Romanesque Revival style resulting in an impressive depot in keeping with the importance of Sterling on the Union Pacific system. With the decline in passenger service, the railroad closed the depot in 1983. The city relocated the building to its present site in 1984. Listed under Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission. (1997 photograph.)