Derry Mining Site Camp
National Register 7/14/2000, 5LK.1341
Although a large rambling, log and wood frame building on the approximately 8½-acre site dates from earlier ranching operations, the property primarily reflects its association with the mining activities occurring there from 1906 to 1923. Ditches, ponds, and tailings piles continue to dot the landscape. The circa 1916 log cabins were constructed to house workers hired in conjunction with the operation of the Derry Dredge. This large "mountain boat" was assembled at the site in 1915 to operate along Corske Creek. Circa 1923, it was relocated to Box Creek. The dredge was dismantled in 1926 and subsequently shipped to South America. The property is associated with the Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
912 Harrison Ave.
National Register 8/25/1970, 5LK.43
The log cabin was built in 1879 by Leadville banker and mining magnate James V. Dexter for use as a hunting lodge. Although the exterior appears ordinary, the inside is elegantly finished. The cabin was moved to its present location adjacent to the Healy House. (ca. 2000 photograph.)
Hayden Ranch Headquarters
West of US Hwy. 24 at Kobe, Leadville vicinity
State Register 9/10/2003, National Register 10/11/2003, 5LK.1340
The building complex is an intact example of an early high country agricultural operation. Noted for the cattle that supplied the area miners with beef, hay and grain were also cultivated on the ranch. The multiple agricultural buildings accurately reflect the specialized function of each building during its operation from 1872–1947 and demonstrate the historic types and methods of construction associated with high country farming and ranching. (1999 photograph.)
Colorado Mountain College purchased the ranch from Colorado Preservation, Inc., in 2008 for use as a laboratory, woodworking shop, and classroom space for students in its historic preservation trades program. CPI purchased the property from the City of Aurora in 2005 after the city originally acquired the ranch and surrounding property in 1998 to obtain water rights. The State Historical Fund provided grants of over $240,000 to assist in planning, stabilization and interpretive work.
912 Harrison Ave.
National Register 8/25/1970, 5LK.44
Originally built as a two-story residence in 1878, a third floor was added in 1888. This architecturally significant wood frame house has been restored and is operated as a museum by History Colorado. The property is associated with the Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Leadville Historic District
Roughly bounded by Hazel St., W. 2nd St., James St., & 10th St.
National Historic Landmark 7/4/1961, National Register 10/15/1966, 5LK.40
The district encompasses a scattered collection of architecturally distinctive and historically important masonry buildings supported by numerous residential and commercial buildings that contribute to the overall appearance associated with late 19th century western mining towns. The Leadville mining district ranks as one of the country’s richest mineral regions. The first gold mining boom occurred in 1860, bringing approximately 10,000 miners to the area. The second boom began in 1878 with the discovery of extensive silver deposits. By 1880, the population was estimated to be between 25,000 and 40,000. The fortunes of Leadville’s best known silver king, H.A.W. Tabor, crashed along with silver prices in 1893. The property is associated with the Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (1993 photograph of the Delaware Hotel.)
Leadville National Fish Hatchery
8 miles southwest of Mt. Massive Star Route
National Register 5/29/1980, 5LK.42
The hatchery was established in 1889 by Executive Order of President Benjamin Harrison as the first national fish hatchery in the Rockies. National fish hatcheries have played a leading role in the conservation movement by endeavoring to stabilize and increase the number of fresh water food fish in the nation’s inland waterways. An 1890 one-story hatchery building of native red sandstone with a steeply pitched gabled roof remains on the site.
East 7th Road vicinity
National Register 12/28/2010, 5LK.57
The Matchless Mine is significant for industry and social history as a working silver mine and for its association with Horace Austin Warner Tabor from 1879 to 1899, and with Elizabeth "Baby Doe" Bonduel McCourt Tabor form 1901 to 1935. Additionally, the surface plant of Shaft No. 6 located on the property is significant for its architecture and engineering. Finally, the mine and its shaft is significant for Historic Archaeological and Engineering for its potential to yield information important to history or prehistory. (2008 photograph.)
Interlaken Resort District
Off Colo. Hwy. 82, east of Twin Lakes
National Register 8/7/1974, 5LK.153
Located on the smaller of the two lakes at the foot of Mt. Elbert, the resort was developed between 1883 and 1890 by wealthy Leadville miner James V. Dexter. The primary building, the Interlaken Hotel, is a two-story log structure the facade of which is faced with board and batten. Blue grass lawns and fountains made the resort pleasant for summer vacations, and a variety of boats were available for guests. Ice skating, skiing, and sleighing were popular winter activities. Enlargement of the lakes in 1950 cut off access except by boat, and the hotel closed. (2004 photograph.)
Twin Lakes District
Both sides of Colo. Hwy. 82
National Register 7/30/1974, 5LK.41
The district is one of the best remaining examples of a mountain village of the late 1800s. Nearly all of the buildings are of log construction, have gabled roofs, and date from the last two decades of the 19th century. Much of the village’s charm is derived from its mountain setting near the foot of Mt. Elbert and the numerous groves of aspen and fir trees. (2006 photograph.)