312 S. Main St.
National Register 10/23/1986, 5HF.519
Originally built in 1862 by "Colonel" John M. Francisco, the two early historic buildings form a U-shape around an open courtyard. When constructed, they had 18 to 24 inch thick adobe walls, dirt floors, and a dirt roof supported by vigas. Later improvements include gabled roofs, wood flooring, and plastering of the walls. In 1876, the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad arrived at Francisco Plaza, marking a new period of growth and a new name, La Veta.
La Veta Masonic Hall
210 S. Main St.
State Register 6/14/2000, 5HF.369
Completed in 1889, the Masonic Hall is one of the earliest extant examples of the stone construction that would become a prominent component of La Veta’s architectural heritage. It is one of the better preserved of the few two-story stone buildings in town, and it is the oldest two-part block commercial building.
La Veta Pass Narrow Gauge Railroad Depot
East of La Veta Pass Summit, south side of road
National Register 6/6/1980, 5HF.5
The simple L-shaped stuccoed stone depot dates to 1877. The Denver and Rio Grande Railroad built it atop the 9,400 foot high La Veta Pass to serve passenger trains bound to and from the San Luis Valley to the west. The building functioned until 1899 when the original narrow gauge line gave way to a standard gauge replacement seven miles to the south. The simple design and construction reflect the early era of railroad development, particularly in isolated regions like the summit of La Veta Pass. Listed under Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission.
314 S. Main St.
National Register 12/10/1993, 5HF.366
The community of Francisco Plaza, now La Veta, was originally founded in 1862. In 1909, the construction of the 2½-story sandstone hospital building took place, and it was continuously used as such up to 1944. After 1944 the building was used as a private residence up to 1980, when it was then converted to a bed and breakfast inn.
3652, 3665, 3688 County Rd. 443
National Register 8/31/2011, 5HF.2410
The Veta Pass-Uptop Historic District is important as related to transportation being a railroad stop from 1877-1901, the sawmill Industry from 1916-1945, and as tourist destination from 1945-1964. This community continually reinvented itself as modes of transportation reshaped access through the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. More information (PDF, 3.4 MB)
715 Main St.
State Register 11/9/1994, 5HF.1160
Though originally constructed in 1917 as the Star, the Fox Inter-mountain chain purchased and remodeled the building in 1941 and gave this mainstay of community entertainment a modern Art Deco appearance. (ca. 2000 photograph.)
Huerfano County Courthouse & Jail
401 Main St.
National Register 4/23/1973, 5HF.654
Designed by Pueblo architect C.A. Henderson, the two-story courthouse was built in 1904. The adjacent two-story building utilized as the jail dates from the 1890s. Both have walls of heavy stone, steeply pitched hipped roofs, and facades with prominent square towers. Romanesque Revival detailing is further expressed in the arched window openings at the second story level of the courthouse. (ca. 2000 photograph.)
Huerfano County High School
415 Walsen Ave.
State Register 9/14/2005, National Register 11/2/2005, 5HF.2183
The 1920 building (also known as Walsenburg Middle School) served the community for over 80 years as the center of middle and upper-level public school education. The building is the work of the noted Colorado architectural firm of Isaac Hamilton Rapp and William Mason Rapp. It is one of the few surviving public schools designed by the Rapp brothers. The high school is one of only two of the firm’s numerous southern Colorado projects to employ the Collegiate Gothic style. Although Walsenburg has six other buildings designed by this prolific firm, this is the town’s only example of the Collegiate Gothic style. More information (PDF, 524 kb).
Constructed in 1940, the Colorado Department of Highways designed the 123-foot long timber stringer bridge that includes six 20-foot long spans. As one of the largest vehicular structures built by the Great Depression era Works Progress Administration, the intact bridge is noteworthy for its multiple spans and stone masonry abutments. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
West of Walsenburg
National Register 7/3/2012, 5HF.2555, amended 11/28/2012
Montoya Ranch is significant for its association for ethnic heritage/Hispanic, exploration/settlement, agriculture, and commerce. Additionally, it is important as a rare example of an early Hispano residence and a good example of Spanish Colonial architecture modified to a Territorial Adobe type building. Local tradition holds that the Montoya family originally built the ranch as a community defense facility, possibly under the leadership of Pablo Antonio Garcia, during the time that conflicts with Native Americans were common in the region. The second owners, the Louise Faris family, were Lebanese immigrants who operated the post office and a general store along with raising sheep, fruit, and vegetables. The property may broaden our understanding of Hispano history and the largely undocumented history of Lebanese immigration to Colorado.
Roof & Dick Building
600 Main Street/109 E. 6th Street
State Register 1/21/2016, 5HF.615
For several decades the 1910 Roof & Dick Building has anchored the heart of downtown Walsenburg, including with national chain stores like J.C. Penney (1932-1976) and Ben Franklin (1977-1985). Over time the building has been altered from its 1910 appearance to accommodate the needs of its commercial tenants. Today the building is the home of the Museum of Friends, a local non-profit dedicated to the arts. More information (PDF, 1.5MB)
St. Mary School, Convent, Rectory & Church
121 and 201 E. 7th St. and 726 Russell St.
State Register 9/10/2003, 5HF.2162
The school, convent and rectory possess the distinctive characteristics of Mission Revival, a style not well represented in Walsenburg. These three buildings form a collection of the best-preserved examples of the style in town. The complex, which includes the extensively altered church, contributed to the social history of Walsenburg. More information (PDF, 64 kb).