821 Macon Ave.
National Register 3/7/1996, 5FN.1202
This 1890 house is associated with Samuel H. Atwater, an early developer of Cañon City, who not only bought and sold land for residential development but was a key individual in the planning and construction of community infrastructure.
Cañon City Denver & Rio Grande Railroad Depot
816 Royal Gorge Blvd.
State Register 12/10/1997, 5FN.585
Constructed in 1909, the depot played a prominent role in the conveyance of passengers and freight on the D&RG route through the Royal Gorge. The city’s merchant association launched the campaign to persuade the railroad company to build this more substantial brick depot as a replacement for a small, undistinguished wood frame building.
Cañon City Downtown Historic District
Main St. from 3rd to 9th & Macon Ave.
National Register 10/20/1983, Boundary Increase: 602 Macon Ave., National Register 2/6/1986, 5FN.720
The district’s 81 buildings are primarily located along Main Street. The period of development, quality of design and construction, scale and number erected, reflect the town’s growth as a prosperous regional trading center between 1870 and 1930. The degree of ornamentation and physical integrity of the buildings result in an interesting collection of well preserved commercial structures. More information (PDF, 17.59 MB), Amendment (PDF 5.78 MB).
Cañon City Municipal Building
612 Royal Gorge Blvd.
National Register 8/18/1983, 5FN.596
Designed by Denver architect Eugene Groves and erected in 1927, the two-story brick building is Neoclassical in composition with simple terra cotta ornamentation. The symmetrical facade is dominated by a central full-height portico supported by reeded square columns. It is a fine local example of early 20th century modern design.
Cañon City Post Office & Federal Building (Fremont Center for the Arts)
5th & Macon Ave.
National Register 1/22/1986, 5FN.551
Cañon City Santa Fe Depot
S. 4th St.
State Register 3/8/1995, 5FN.589
Built in 1913 to replace a smaller depot, the Santa Fe Railroad designed the new combination freight and passenger depot in the Mediterranean Revival style. The depot is now the starting point for the Royal Gorge Route tourist railroad.
Cañon City State Armory
110 Main St.
National Register 8/20/1999, 5FN.1642
Constructed in 1922, the building is associated with the initiation and maintenance of a National Guard unit in Cañon City, and it is the longest continuously used Armory in the state. With its large open drill area and stage, it became much more than a military training facility. Dances, graduations, and concerts were held in the building, and the hardwood floor of the drill area served as a roller skating rink. Until a high school was constructed in 1961, the building served as the only gymnasium in town. The Armory was built on a standard plan designed by prominent Denver architect John James Huddart, which was adopted for many of the armories around the state. The building’s Mediterranean-influenced style is rare in Fremont County.
Christ Episcopal Church
802 Harrison Ave.
National Register 8/19/1994, 5FN.1194
Colorado Springs architect Thomas MacLaren employed elements from several architectural styles in his design for this 1902 church. The T-shaped building with its steeply pitched roof, rough-faced limestone walls, and striking campanario bell tower forms an eclectic mix unusual for this prominent architect.
Colorado Women’s Prison
201 N. 1st St.
National Register 3/5/1999, 5FN.55
Utilizing prison labor, the two-story stuccoed concrete building was completed in 1935. Located just outside the eastern wall of the Colorado State Penitentiary, it continued to serve as a correctional facility for women until 1968. Service facilities, including a dining room and recreation room were on the lower level, while two rows of 15 cells were located on the upper level. The upper level also included a sun porch, office space, and a hospital/examination room. The building now houses the Colorado Territorial Prison Museum.
Deputy Warden’s House
National Register 5/2/2001, 5FN.1805
Located just outside the walls of the Colorado State Penitentiary, the two-story masonry residence was designed by Charles C. Rittenhouse, an architect credited with the design of several other Cañon City buildings. Although there are other two-story masonry homes in Cañon City exhibiting Queen Anne style details, none possess the unusual combination of elements found on this 1901 residence. Despite some alterations to the porch, the building remains a distinctive example of Queen Anne architecture in Cañon City as reflected in its three-story domed-roof round tower and circular wrap-around open porch.
1005 S. 1st
State Register 9/10/1997, 5FN.100
This brick building was the residence of Judge Kent Eldred, who had a major influence on the community’s legal and political system. He served as Fremont County judge for 30 years, in addition to holding several other public offices in South Cañon and Cañon City. Constructed in 1888, this was one of the early homes within the original South Cañon Plat.
First Presbyterian Church
Macon & 7th St.
National Register 9/1/1983, 5FN.583
Since its construction in 1902, the massive stone church with its prominent tower has served as an architectural landmark for the community. In design, the building illustrates a significant local interpretation of Victorian styling applied to church architecture.
4th Street Bridge
State Register 12/17/2009, 5FN.104 (originally listed on the National Register 2/4/1985; structure moved to the west and delisted from the National Register but remains on the State Register).
Fremont County Maintenance Shop
130 N. 3rd St.
State Register 9/9/1998, 5FN.591
The well-preserved building and its surrounding wall were constructed with ornamental concrete block, a popular building material used in Colorado from 1900 to 1940. Constructed sometime between 1914 and 1926, the concrete blocks have a rock face pattern. Listed under Ornamental Concrete Block Buildings in Colorado, 1900 to 1940 Multiple Property Submission.
Garden Park School
Red Canyon Rd., Cañon City vicinity
State Register 11/20/2008, 5FN.2192
Nominated through the Rural School Buildings in Colorado MPS, the 1895 Garden Park School served as the educational center for the children of local ranching families from its opening until consolidation closed the school in 1961. As the only public building on the landscape for miles, it also served as an important place for social gatherings such as “literaries”, dances, Sunday school, and theater productions. Architecturally, the school displays the distinctive characteristics of the schoolhouse building type. Exhibiting such elements as a rectangular plan, front gabled roof, tall narrow windows on each side, and a single classroom, the building’s use is clearly evident when viewing it from a distance. It was built using local labor and abundant native materials – an ample supply of clay from nearby Oil Creek provided the necessary adobe bricks. A stucco application in 1916-17 was a typical treatment for adobe, which was susceptible to deterioration. More information (PDF, 1.21 MB).
1251 1st St.
National Register 9/4/2013, 5FN.25
As Cañon City’s oldest cemetery, Greenwood Cemetery is the final resting place for some of the city’s earliest and most influential settlers, including those involved in shaping the local economy, politics and culture. The individuals and families buried in Greenwood represent a cross-section of early Cañon City development and society, including miners, politicians, prisoners, religious leaders, socialites, fraternal members, veterans and businesspeople. Greenwood Cemetery also contains significant examples of funerary art that embody the prevalent aesthetic characteristics of traditional funerary design from 1876-1963, which often also reflect each individuals’ fraternal associations, spiritual beliefs, military service and social position. More information (PDF, 1.26 MB).
Holy Cross Abbey
US Hwy. 50
National Register 8/18/1983, 5FN.688
Designed by Joseph Dillon and L.A. Des Jardins, construction began in 1924 on this massive 3½-story brick building built in a modified cruciform plan. Described as Collegiate Gothic with a detectable Jacobean Revival influence, its scale and style are unique in south central Colorado. In 1926, the Benedictine Monks established the Abbey School, which has played an important role in the history of education in the area.
Corner of E. Douglas and S. 2nd St.
State Register 3/13/1996, 5FN.1233
Constructed in 1924, the school is important to the history of education in Cañon City. It is one of two schools constructed after the consolidation of the South Cañon and Cañon City school districts and is the oldest intact school building in the city.
McClure House / Strathmore Hotel
323-331 Main St.
National Register 9/14/1979, 5FN.37
Constructed in 1872, the three-story brick commercial structure reflects the vernacular building tradition of the territorial period. It is believed to be the oldest building in Colorado used continuously as a hotel. The builder was William H. McClure, a civic leader and early developer of the town, who may also have been responsible for the building’s design.
Mount Saint Scholastica, East Building
615 Pike Ave.
State Register 5/14/1997, National Register 1/15/1998, 5FN.35.1
Constructed in 1897 on the 1880 foundations of the Colorado Collegiate and Military Institute, it is Cañon City’s oldest school building. The academy, a girl’s boarding school conducted by the Benedictine Sisters, has operated continuously since 1890.
Near Fremont County Rd. 9, Cañon City vicinity
National Register 2/16/1996, 5FN.118
Oil Spring is the location of the first commercial production of oil in Colorado between 1860 and 1881. Prospecting at the site led to the formation of the state’s first oil company in 1860. Colorado’s first oil well was drilled there in 1862-63. (1995 photograph.)
Prospect Heights Jail
1307 S. 4th St.
State Register 3/12/2003, 5FN.1803
Constructed in 1906, this was the only municipal building for the town of Prospect Heights. Previously a Slavic enclave of mine workers, the enterprising residents incorporated to take advantage of the neighboring "dry" communities of Cañon City and South Cañon. The jail was built to incarcerate the disorderly drunks who frequented the numerous saloons operating twenty-four hours a day. Its size, stone construction, and setting make it a visual landmark in this small community.
Rio Grande Hotel
302-304 S. 9th St.
State Register 12/13/1995, 5FN.586
The Rio Grande Hotel served for four generations as a railroad hotel. The 1907 building is architecturally significant as an example of a commercial structure constructed entirely of concrete blocks, a popular building material during the first third of the 20th century.
12 Riverside Dr.
National Register 10/11/1984, 5FN.99
The 1884 three-story brick house with its mansard roof is one of the few well preserved examples of the Second Empire Style in Colorado. The residence illustrates a quality of design and richness of detail unmatched in the Cañon City area. The property includes a two-story brick carriage house with an octagonal cupola centered on its mansard roof. It was the home of the prominent and affluent Robison family, who made many contributions to the commercial growth of the city.
Royal Gorge Bridge & Incline Railway
Northwest of Cañon City
National Register 9/2/1983, 5FN.687
Designed for the Royal Gorge Bridge and Amusement Company by George F. Cole, the steel wires, castings, and rolled components for its towers were assembled at the Minnequa plant of Colorado Fuel and Iron in Pueblo. It is the state’s only bridge constructed primarily for recreational use, as well as the only remaining vehicular suspension bridge. With a main span of 880 feet and a height of 1,053 feet, at the time of its completion in 1929, it was considered to be the largest suspension bridge west of the Mississippi River. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Rudd House & Cabin
612 Royal Gorge Blvd.
State Register 9/11/1996, 5FN.31
The 1881 Rudd House and the circa 1860 Rudd Cabin are associated with the Anson Rudd family, early settlers of Cañon City. Both buildings are open to the public as part of the city’s museum program.
South Cañon High School
1020 Park Ave.
National Register 10/24/2005, 5FN.1564
The 1914 school epitomizes the rivalry between North Cañon and South Cañon and their respective school districts, which fostered a strong sense of identity and the desire for autonomy within the South Cañon community. After the 1920 consolidation of the two school districts ended the rivalry, the building became Wilson Junior High School with the distinction of serving as the only junior high school in Cañon City for 41 years.
216 Main St.
State Register 8/9/2000, 5FN.1769
Constructed in 1908 for the local lodge of the International Order of Odd Fellows, the two-story sandstone building served as the primary meeting facility for the town’s various fraternal organizations, as well as the miner’s union. The building was also used for a variety of school, community, and church activities. Eighth grade graduations and school Christmas programs were held in the building until 1958, and the first floor served for a time as a weekend movie theater. The Masons acquired the building in 1952, and Eureka Lodge No. 66 continues to meet there. Amendment (PDF, 11.36 kb).
13607 County Rd. 6
State Register 9/8/2004, 5FN.1988
Constructed in 1923 as a replacement for a smaller wood frame school destroyed in a flood, the Coaldale School met the educational needs of the community by serving as the only school until consolidation forced its closure in 1956. Like most rural schools, the building also served as a community center, hosting a wide variety of activities. In addition to school-related events, the building was used for community gatherings, including grange meetings, “Sunday school and preaching services,” dances, political caucus meetings, and as a polling place. After consolidation, the building continued as the community center and remains so today. More information (PDF, 68 kb).
Braden & Griffith Block (Florence Pioneer Museum)
102 E. Front St.
State Register 3/13/2002, 5FN.597
Constructed in 1894, the two-story masonry building reflects the type of commercial block construction occurring during the boom Florence experienced at the turn of the century. While sandstone was often used for contrasting details or facades, the Braden & Griffith Block is the only extant commercial building in Florence constructed entirely of sandstone. Since the 1960s, the building has housed the Florence Pioneer Museum. More information (PDF, 68 kb).
Bridge No. 10 / Adelaide Bridge
Phantom Canyon Rd., approximately 15 miles north of US Hwy. 50
National Register 2/4/1985, 5FN.106
Completed in 1894, as one of numerous bridges constructed when the Florence and Cripple Creek Railroad extended its narrow gauge lines up Phantom Canyon into the Cripple Creek gold district, it features a multi-span trestle with a built-up steel deck girder. Converted to vehicular use when the railroad ceased operations in 1912, it is one of the few remaining bridges along the route. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Florence Historic District
Roughly bounded by Main Street, Santa Fe and Petroleum avenues between W. 2nd and Railroad streets
National Register 7/14/2017, 5FN.523
The Downtown Florence Historic District is the long-standing commercial heart of Florence and the surrounding agricultural, oil, coal, and smelting region. The district has many examples of late-nineteenth and early-twentieth century commercial architecture that has been updated, particularly at the storefront level, as business owners responded to changing tastes in retail displays. Most upper stories of buildings still display architectural features from the original construction period, including stone ornamentation, elaborate cornice elements, and intricate brickwork. The district also contains a few examples of massive, three-story commercial buildings that serve as monuments to the wealth that flowed through the community in the late-nineteenth century. More information (PDF, 5.96 MB)
Florence Post Office
121 N. Pikes Peak St.
National Register 1/22/1986, 5FN.642
Constructed in 1936, the building is a particularly well-crafted example of Art Deco-flavored Neo-Classicism. It is the only local example of this motif and is a symbolic legacy of the federal government’s role in aiding communities during the Depression. Listed under U.S. Post Offices in Colorado Thematic Resource.
201 W. Main St.
State Register 3/10/1993, 5FN.622
Completed in 1906, the two-story red brick building is the town’s only example of the Renaissance Revival style. Classified as a two-part commercial block, it is organized into two distinct horizontal divisions by a pronounced belt course and a cast iron secondary cornice. Despite some street front alterations, the building retains much of its original detailing, including round-arched windows and an elaborate metal cornice.
Main Street Bridge
Colo. Hwy. 115
National Register 10/15/2002, 5FN.1697
The 1921 bridge was designed by the city engineer, A.B. McFall, and constructed by local contractors Shields & Kimmell. The essentially unaltered concrete filled spandrel arch structure spans 44 feet and continues to function in place as the principal crossing of Coal Creek in Florence. Its solid concrete guardrails feature recessed rectangular panels. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
207-209 W. Main St.
State Register 3/10/1993, 5FN.624
Constructed in 1923 of locally made yellow bricks, this two-story building features unusual multi-colored brickwork patterns enhanced by designs in natural colored slate. Between 1923 and 1975, the Rialto was host to numerous cultural events, plays, shows, and melodramas. It was the only movie house to serve the town and the surrounding communities. (1981 photograph.)
Constructed in 1926-27, with additions in 1935 and 1956, the simple one-story wood frame building is associated with the farmers’ organization popularly known as the Grange Movement. A family oriented organization that attempted to meet the social, political, and economic interests of its members, its grange halls often became the focus of rural communities. Over the years, a variety of local organizations held dances, suppers, and school fundraisers in the building. More information (PDF, 52 kb).
156 Rockafellow St.
State Register 9/13/1995, 5FN.1207
The Rockvale School represents the community’s efforts to provide education for its children as well as the local coal company’s concern for the education of its adult employees. The school also served as the center of community social and recreational activity. Architecturally, the circa 1883 building exhibits the defining characteristics of rural/small town schoolhouses.
Rouch Gulch Bridge
US Hwy. 50, Swissvale vicinity
National Register 11/27/2002, 5FN.1652
Located in a rugged rural setting, the 1934 filled spandrel arch bridge was designed by the Colorado Department of Highways and built by Gordon Construction Company. Spanning 55 feet, the 69-foot long bridge features slotted concrete guardrails and remains in use as a well preserved example of its type. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Baca Land Exchange
State Register 10/28/2010, 5CN.1418 / 5FN.883
The La Jara Archaeological District is a cultural landscape that represents approximately 10,000 years of human occupation and provides information regarding the cultural groups that have occupied the area throughout the past. Such occupation by multiple ethnic groups demonstrates the nature of the area as a place where varied peoples have lived in proximity to one another for many, many years and the Biedell Creek Archaeological District is significant in anthropological and historical studies from the Paleo-Indian to Proto-Historic eras.