Ansel Hall Ruin
National Register 11/15/1997, 5DL.27
The site, a loose cluster of individual habitation units surrounding several community structures, is believed to have been built and occupied between AD 1050 and 1150. As one of the few "pure" large Pueblo II sites in Southwestern Colorado, it is important as a representation of the broad patterns of Mesa Verde Anasazi cultural change. Listed under Great Pueblo Period of the McElmo Drainage Unit, AD 1075-1300, Multiple Property Submission.
Beaver Creek Massacre Site
San Juan National Forest, east of Dove Creek
National Register 10/2/1986, 5DL.1216
The site is significant in the history of southwestern Colorado. In June 1885, it was the site of a "battle" between white settlers and a group of Ute Indians.
Brewer Archaeological District
Dove Creek vicinity
State Register 8/11/1999, 5DL.578
The district consists of two large, sequentially occupied prehistoric habitation sites and is likely to yield important information in the areas of Community Planning, Social History, and Ethnic Heritage. Brewer Mesa Pueblo is a good example of an 11th century mesa-top village, and Brewer Canyon Pueblo is an excellent example of a large 13th century canyon head village.
P.R. Butt & Sons Building
101 W. US Hwy. 491
State Register 6/11/2003, 5DL.2126
Constructed in 1914 and associated with the early settlement of Dove Creek, most locals agree that this was the second building to be constructed in town. The property is also associated with the commercial development of Dove Creek and is the town’s oldest extant commercial building. P. R. Butt & Sons acquired the property in 1918, operating a general merchandise store in the building until 1940. More information (PDF, 52 kb).
Glade Ranger Station
Dove Creek vicinity
State Register 8/8/2001, 5DL.1792
Pre-dating 1910, the station is one of the oldest U.S. Forest Service administrative sites in Colorado. Extensively remodeled by the Civilian Conservation Corps during 1935-36, the station was part of the campaign of natural resources enhancement undertaken during the New Deal era. The five wood frame buildings comprising the station reflect the Forest Service’s ideals of simplicity, harmony with nature, and use of natural materials. More information (PDF, 48 kb).
3 N. Glasgow
National Register 4/15/1999, 5DL.479
The second floor of this Two-Part Commercial Block was designed to house offices. Since its construction in 1892, the first floor retail space has been utilized almost continuously as a saloon. Of the approximately half dozen masonry commercial buildings constructed in Rico during the last decade of the 19th century, the Dey Building is the only example of the Romanesque Revival style.
Dolores County Courthouse (Rico Town Hall)
Commercial & Mantz Sts.
National Register 12/31/1974, 5DL.423
This two-story light red brick building, with a raised basement, was constructed in 1892. Red sandstone was used at the basement level and for window detailing.
William Kauffman House
Silver St., off Mantz Ave.
National Register 10/29/1982, 5DL.227
Built circa 1891, this two-story brick house is the town’s only masonry residence. The Kauffman family lived in the house until 1915.