Thomas Hornsby Ferril House / Palmer House
2123 Downing St.
National Register 11/3/1992, 5DV.202.18
The 1889 Queen Anne style house was built by Hughes and Llewellyn from plans drawn by Franklin Goodnow for Mrs. J.N. Palmer, great aunt of Thomas Hornsby Ferril. The first two floors are of brick and the attic story is of wood with decorative diamond-shaped shingles and lattice-work. Thomas Hornsby Ferril, poet laureate of Colorado and foremost figure in the literary history of Denver and Colorado, lived in the house from 1900 until his death in 1988.
Eugene Field House
715 S. Franklin St.
National Register 11/1/1974, 5DV.173
Built around 1875, this house was the home of well-known journalist and writer Eugene Field, who was the managing editor of the Denver Tribune and lived in the house from 1881 to 1883. After Field moved to Chicago in 1883, the house fell into disrepair until a local group of preservationists convinced Margaret Brown to purchase the house and donate it to the City of Denver in 1927. As part of this preservation effort, the house was moved from its original site at 315 W. Colfax to its present location in Washington Park, where it has served as a branch of the Denver Public Library system and more recently as the headquarters for Park People.
Field Officer’s Quarters, Fort Logan
3742 W. Princeton Cir., Fort Logan
State Register 5/12/1993, 5DV.694.11
The military quarters forms part of the officer’s row, which encloses the western portion of the Fort Logan parade grounds. The red brick and granite trimmed two-story structure was designed expressly for Fort Logan in 1888 by Denver architect Frank J. Godavent.
Fire Station No. 1
National Register 11/14/1979, 5DV.152
The Renaissance Revival style two-story building, of tan brick, was constructed in 1909 as the new home of Denver’s Engine Company No.1. Designed by the architectural firm of Glen W. Huntington & Company, the second floor of the facade is divided into three bays by brick pilasters that extend to an elaborate cornice. At the second story, the center bay includes a recessed balcony defined by a large round arch springing from double pilasters. Originally housing fire wagons and horse stalls, the building was altered in 1934 to accommodate large up-to-date motorized fire trucks. The station remained in active service until 1974. Since 1978, the building has served as a museum, housing records and artifacts associated with the Denver Fire Department.
First Baptist Church
1345 Grant St.
National Register 9/28/2005, 5DV.803
The 1938 First Baptist Church of Denver is one of the city’s rare, well-executed examples of Georgian Revival architecture. Denver architect G. Meredith Musick created the design and it stands as one of his important contributions to the city’s built environment. Musick was one of Denver’s most versatile architects, with excellent examples of work across many styles of architecture. Known primarily for his work in early modern styles, the First Baptist Church illustrates his ability to design equally memorable buildings in revival styles. More information (PDF, 396 kb).
First Church of Divine Science
1400 Williams St.
State Register 9/13/1995, 5DV.4689
The building, completed in 1922, is important for its association with the development of the Divine Science denomination and its connection with Nona Brooks, co-founder of Divine Science and Denver’s first woman minister. The Classical Revival building was designed by noted Denver architect, J.J.B. Benedict.
First Congregational Church
980 Clarkson St.
National Register 11/16/1987, 5DV.2681
First National Bank (Magnolia Hotel)
818 17th St.
National Register 2/23/1996, 5DV.1727
This 1911 building is associated with the development of commerce and banking in Denver. It served as headquarters for the First National Bank of Denver, organized in 1865, until 1958. It was the first bank to locate on 17th St. and thus represents the beginnings of the thoroughfare’s development into the financial center of Denver and the surrounding region. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of Downtown Denver Multiple Property Submission.
First Unitarian Society of Denver
1400 Lafayette Street
National Register 7/14/2017, 5DV.16713
The First Unitarian Society of Denver (FUSD) was the location of Colorado’s first religious ceremony for a same-sex wedding, held in 1975 following issuance of a marriage license and civil ceremony in Boulder County. Since the relocation of FUSD here in 1958, the building has played a central role in civil rights issues pertaining to the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer (LGBTQ), African-American, immigrant, and numerous other communities seeking to engage in causes related to social and racial justice. Constructed in two phases from 1893-99 for the Plymouth Congregational Church, the First Unitarian Society of Denver building is also a fine example of the Romanesque Revival style as designed by architects Balcomb & Rice and Varian & Sterner. More information (PDF, 1.39 MB).
William G. Fisher House / International House
National Register 11/20/1974, 5DV.122
This three-story Neoclassical Revival style mansion was built for William Garrett and Mary Frances Fisher in 1896. Prior to his death in 1897, Fisher played an important role in Denver’s commercial history through his association with the Daniels and Fisher Department Store. Designed by the Denver architectural firm of Frank E. Edbrooke, the walls of the flat roofed residence are of polished stone, with carved stone panels embellishing the third level. The south facade is dominated by a central two-story semicircular portico that is topped by a balustraded third floor balcony, and two carved stone lions guard the entry. About 1900, a one-story wing on the north was constructed for Fisher’s widow, providing space for a ballroom and an art gallery. Architect David O. Tryba rehabilitated the house in 1999 for use as his office.
Fitzroy Place / Warren-Iliff Mansion
2160 S. Cook St.
National Register 2/20/1975, 5DV.175
This Richardsonian Romanesque style residence was designed by the Albany, New York firm of Fuller & Wheeler for Henry White Warren, Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal church, and his wife Elizabeth Iliff Warren, the widow of cattleman John Wesley Iliff and a major contributor to the establishment of the Iliff School of Theology at the University of Denver. The 2½-story red stone residence has thirteen rooms and a raised basement. The complex roof and irregular floor plan reflect the incorporation of numerous bays in the design. A 1½-story carriage house is also located on the property.
National Register 10/29/1982, 5DV.661
A rare local example of a temple front Greek Revival style residence, the two-story house was constructed in 1893, reportedly for Josiah M. Fleming, a general manager of the Daniels and Fisher Dry Goods Store. Four fluted columns support the pedimented portico which dominates the facade. The walls are of cast stone fabricated to imitate marble. One of the more prominent residents was John B. Hanington, president of the Mountain Motors Company, who lived there from 1914 until 1924. Hanington’s civic activities included service as a member of the Denver School Board and terms as president of the Colorado Museum of Natural History and the Colorado State Historical Society. More information (PDF, 3.42 MB).
374 S. Clarkson
State Register 3/10/2004, 5DV.9138
The 1907 Flesher House is a high style variant subtype of the Classic Cottage style in Denver. The building exhibits the various elements that define the Classic Cottage style and elevates this style with characteristic design embellishments, including the multiple dormers and story-and-a-half form, its three Palladian style dormer casement windows, the dentil molding along the front porch and the dormer eaves, the pediment over the entry stairs, and the bay windows on both the north and south elevations.
1610 Emerson St.
National Register 10/21/1982, 5DV.659
Designed by Balcomb and Rice, the 1889 two-story Queen Anne style house is an interesting example of late 19th century residential architecture. Constructed of pressed brick, with rock faced stone trim, the facade features elaborate porches on both floors and a modified Palladian window on the first floor. The original owner was John S. Flower, an early Denver real estate developer. Joel F. Vaile, a prominent Denver lawyer and authority on mining, general business, and railroad law, purchased the property in 1890.
John S. Flower House
1618 Ogden St.
National Register 9/4/1980, 5DV.156
This 1891 residence, designed by Robert G. Balcomb and Eugene Rice, was built for Denver real estate developer John S. Flower. Constructed of pressed red brick with extensive sandstone trim, the 2½-story Queen Anne style house incorporates Neoclassical style elements such as Doric columns, swags, and ribbon medallions in its design. A rounded corner porch is adjacent the pedimented central entry portico on the west facade.
Barney L. Ford Building
National Register 6/24/1976, 5DV.47.66
Portions of the three-story brick commercial structure date from the 1860s. The building is important for its association with Barney L. Ford an early Denver businessman, civic leader, and politician. Ford opened the People’s Restaurant in the street level in August of 1863, along with a barber shop and hair salon in the basement and a bar on the second floor. Born a slave in Virginia, Ford escaped to Chicago via the Underground Railroad and arrived in Denver in 1860. The building is located adjacent the site of Ford’s original barber shop, which was destroyed in the Denver fires of 1863. Ford was active in the Republican Party and was the first Black nominated to the Territorial Legislature. He also worked for the admission of Colorado to statehood, with suffrage for its nonwhite residents.
Justina Ford House
3091 California St.
National Register 11/23/1984, 5DV.1493
Originally constructed at 2335 Arapahoe St. in 1890, the two-story flat roofed brick house sits on a stone foundation. Simple in massing and detailing, its most distinctive features are the dentils, end brackets, and finials of its pressed metal cornice. The house was the residence and office of Dr. Justina Ford from 1912 until her death in 1952. Ford graduated from Chicago’s Hering Medical College in 1899 and practiced briefly in Alabama before coming to Denver in 1902. She was Colorado’s first Black female doctor and until her death remained the only such physician in Denver. Her patients came from a variety of ethnic backgrounds, and she served as a staff member at Denver General Hospital. In 1984, the house was moved approximately thirteen blocks to its present location in order to save it from demolition. It is now the home of the Black American West Museum.
Forest Street Parkway
Forest St. Pkwy. from E. 17th Ave. to Montview Blvd.
National Register 9/17/1986, 5DV.5319
This 0.3-mile parkway, by an unknown planner, presents a simple and elegant design in the manner of Olmsted’s East 17th Avenue Parkway. The 1913 parkway is illustrative of the early parkways planned to connect major residential transit ways. The property is associated with the Denver Park and Parkway System Thematic Resource.
Fort Logan National Cemetery
3698 S. Sheridan Boulevard
National Register 11/29/2016, 5DV.4344
Fort Logan National Cemetery is nationally significant for its association with the development of military and veterans cemeteries during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries by the federal government. Fort Logan National Cemetery has a history that dates back to the late nineteenth century as the U.S. Army consolidated its Western posts as the frontier shrank, lessening the need for the smaller posts. Further, it is tied to Colorado's ongoing attempts to attract and keep federal installations during the twentieth century. Fort Logan National Cemetery is one of dozens of cemeteries that were operated by the Army as part of the national cemetery system prior to its transfer to the Veterans Administration by the National Cemeteries Act of 1973. Fort Logan National Cemetery serves as a memorial to the sacrifices of the U.S. military, and is a reflection of the expanded burial and memorial mission established during the Civil War with the earliest national cemeteries. More information (PDF, 7MB)
A.C. Foster Building / University Building
912 16th St.
National Register 1/9/1978, 5DV.142
Constructed in 1911, the twelve-story office building was designed by noted Denver architects William E. and Arthur A. Fisher. While the first and second stories are surfaced with smooth cut granite, the walls are primarily of dark brown brick. The 16th St. facade is composed of seven bays, with segmental arches topping the five central bays. The upper portion of the eleventh story and the entire twelfth story, which are faced with heavily ornamented terra cotta, appear as part of the building’s cornice line. Alexis C. Foster was instrumental in the building’s construction, which was one of the first built after Denver modified an ordinance that had limited buildings to nine stories in height. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of Downtown Denver Multiple Property Submission.
Ernest LeNeve Foster House / Cathcart House
2105 Lafayette St.
National Register 9/4/1980, 5DV.2315.1
During a four decade period Ernest Foster managed major mines in Clear Creek, Gilpin, and Summit counties, notably the Snow Drift, Fletcher, Colorado Central, and Saratoga. Architect William Lang designed the Queen Anne style house in 1891 at the end of his career.
Four Mile House
715 S. Forest
National Register 12/3/1969, 5DV.7
With a portion dating from 1859, Four Mile House is Denver’s earliest surviving structure. The location served as the last stage stop, before entering Denver, on the Wells Fargo Butterfield Stage route between El Paso and Denver. Over the years, the current U-shaped plan evolved as three buildings were butted together to accommodate changing needs. Together, the 1859 squared log, the circa 1860s wood frame, and the 1883 brick portions reflect the evolution of rural housing during the Denver area’s early settlement period. The house and several adjacent agricultural buildings are now part of a living history museum known as Four Mile Historic Park.
Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist
3101 W. 31st Ave.
National Register 4/21/2004, 5DV.611
Gas & Electric Building / Public Service Company Building
910 15th St.
National Register 7/20/1978, 5DV.137
The 1910 ten-story Sullivanesque style building was designed by prominent Denver architect Harry W.J. Edbrooke for the Denver Gas and Electric Company, reportedly as a promotional tool. The somewhat fanciful structure, considered by many to be Denver’s grandest illuminated building, is distinguished by its terra cotta cladding and the 13,000 electric light bulbs that form geometric patterns around and between the primarily double hung windows. The tall, arched windows at the tenth-story level appear to form an arcade beneath the prominent flared cornice. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of Downtown Denver Multiple Property Submission.
Russell & Elinor Gates Mansion
1375 Josephine St.
National Register 3/7/2002, 5DV.5291
The 1892 dwelling is associated with merchant Russell Gates and his wife, Elinor. Gates established a series of successful mercantile and related businesses in Elbert and El Paso counties. These enterprises catered to ranchers and farmers by offering general merchandise along with building supplies, dairy products, hotel rooms, and even mortician services. The house is an excellent example of the Shingle style of residential design and exhibits elements of the contemporaneous Richardsonian Romanesque style in its stone lower story and distinctive arches.
2253 Downing St.
National Register 10/1/1992, 5DV.202.15
Located within the San Rafael Historic District, the well-preserved 1883 Gebhard Mansion is considered to be one of Denver’s finest residential examples of the Italianate style. The hipped roof of the two-story brick building is accented with several decorative gables and there is a deep bracketed cornice. The facade features an elaborate porch and a prominent two-story corner bay topped with a conical roof. The original owner, Henry Gebhard, organized the Colorado Packing Provision Company in 1890, an enterprise that soon became the largest packer of pork and beef in Colorado.
General Electric Building
1441 18th St.
National Register 8/25/1983, 5DV.47.63
Located on the corner of 18th and Blake streets, the Denver Rock Drill and Machinery Company constructed the circa 1906 three-story brick building. General Electric later used the building as its primary distribution center for electrical supplies. The street level storefronts and the building’s deep cornice are metal. The second and third story windows on the street elevations sit within brick pilasters, which form narrow vertical elements that are topped with rounded arches. The building is typical of combination office and warehouse structures built in lower downtown at the beginning of the 20th century.
Glenarm Place Historic Residential District
2417-2462 Glenarm Pl.
National Register 8/25/1983, 5DV.1705
Although founded in 1858, the City of Denver really began to thrive after 1870 with the arrival of the Denver Pacific Railroad. The population boomed, and many residents converted their original living quarters to commercial uses and moved away from the original townsite. Some of the more prosperous relocated to Glenarm Place, between 24th and 25th Streets. The thirteen residences, built between 1880 and 1893, include a rich variety of Italianate, Queen Anne, and Victorian Eclectic architectural detailing.
Glenarm USO Club / Glenarm Recreation Center
(Wallace Simpson American Legion Post No. 29)
2563 Glenarm Pl.
State Register 9/9/1998, 5DV.5292
The building represents the efforts of Denver’s Five Points neighborhood to provide recreational activities for black military personnel during World War II. The USO (United Service Organizations) Club offered a home-away-from-home for members of the armed forces stationed in Denver and for those passing through Denver on their way to new assignments. On the conclusion of the war, the club continued to provide community-wide recreational activities until 1970. The 1888 building originally served as a fire station for the Denver Fire Department until 1931.
The Grafton / The Aldine
1001-1020 E. 17th Ave.
National Register 10/21/1982, 5DV.660
Designed by James Murdoch, The Grafton is a good example of a late Victorian era apartment building, reflecting eclectic architectural detailing. The facade of the 1890 brick building is distinguished by several two-story semicircular bays, with two-tiered porches located between the bays. The large second floor windows are set in rounded stone arches, and numerous gabled dormers punctuate the wood shingled mansard-like roof. The building was reportedly constructed as a "family hotel" or "elite boarding house" for Albert W. Brewster, who is credited with laying out the towns of La Veta, Garland, and Alamosa for the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad.
For information about the State Historical Fund’s participation in the preservation of this property see the Project Snapshot.
2123 Gaylord St.
State Register 8/14/1991, 5DV.3910
The 1895 Graham-Gallup House, a simple Queen Anne style two-and-one-half-story masonry building, with an irregular plan and a steeply pitched cross-gabled roof, represents the work of one of Denver’s earliest architects, David Graham. From 1895 to 1900 the house was occupied by John C. Gallup, president of the Denver Park Commissioners from 1895 to 1899 and a member of the board of directors of the Denver Real Estate Commission.
Grant Avenue Methodist Church
216 S. Grant St.
State Register 8/8/2001, 5DV.8141
The 1908 church building housed the first Methodist congregation in the newly incorporated community of South Denver. The building, with its 1920 addition, also served as a major center for community activities, particularly for the youth in the area. The stone trimmed, blond brick building is a good local example of the Gothic Revival style executed in an Arts and Crafts mode by prominent Denver architect Harry J. Manning.
National Register 9/30/1970, 5DV.194
The house was built in 1902 for James Benton Grant, the second Governor of Colorado. After Grant’s death in 1891, it was purchased by Albert Humphreys, known for his large holdings in mining and oil. The large two-story, masonry and terra cotta house combines elements of the Colonial and Italian Renaissance. The property is now operated by History Colorado. More information (PDF, 2.65 MB).
S.A. Grimm Block
2031-2033 Curtis St.
National Register 6/25/1992, 5DV.3922
The building, a classic example of Denver’s small scale 19th century commercial blocks, is located mid-block on the northwest side of Curtis Street between 20th and 21st Streets in downtown Denver. Designed by Adolf Holmberg and constructed in 1890 for S.A. Grimm, a butcher shop owner, the Grimm Block is a three-story, rectangular brick building with a four bay, ground level storefront and two entrances to the second and third floor residential area. It is one of two structures of its type which has not been demolished or altered.
Guerrieri-De Cunto House
National Register 9/10/1979, 5DV.147
Built in 1896, the two-story brick residence was constructed by Frank Guerrieri, a member of Denver’s turn-of-the-century Italian immigrant community. In 1902, the property was apparently purchased by members of the De Cunto family. The Italianate style dwelling has a hipped roof and a stone foundation. At the second floor level, two round arches dominate the facade. Each is filled with a door with transom and sidelights. The doors open onto small balconies with wrought iron railings.
George Hamburger Block
2199 Arapahoe St. (1108 22nd St.)
National Register 1/25/1990, 5DV.3012
The red brick, three-story commercial building rises from a rusticated stone foundation and features a three-bay, cast-iron storefront. The 1891 building typifies late 19th century Commercial Style architecture. The block is the work of architect Richard Phillips, with construction accomplished by Hallack and Howard builders. Hamburger formed half of the partnership of Hamburger & Eckert, a brewers’ and bottlers’ supply firm. In 1935, the residential hotel portion of the building reopened as the Paris Hotel, named for Paris Hargis, the proprietor.
1421-1435 W. 35th Ave.
National Register 11/25/1987, 5DV.2682
Hanigan-Canino Terrace, a ten unit, two-story, brick structure, built as five double bays with each double bay stepped higher as the building advances up its inclined site, was built in 1890. It provided homes for the three separate immigrant groups - Irish, Italian, and Hispanic - who characterized the development patterns in the north Denver neighborhood.
1651 Emerson St.
National Register 9/15/1983, 5DV.1702
The two-story brick townhouse was built in 1892 by Reverend Thomas N. Haskell, the founder of Colorado College. Designed by Robert G. Balcomb and Eugene R. Rice, the narrow facade reflects an eclectic mix of Victorian era architectural detailing. Two rounded arches with brick voussoirs dominate the first level, and the second floor features a large central bay window and an ornate frieze at the cornice level. The front slope of the steeply pitched side gabled roof is intersected by a large gable roofed dormer.
Helene Apartment Building
1062 Pearl St.
National Register 3/12/1998, 5DV.5249
The new facade on the Helene Apartment Building, created in 1931, represents a type of brick work crafted in Denver to interpret the Modern Movement in architecture. The building, originally constructed in 1904, represents the motivation and ability of local builders to update an early 1900s multiple dwelling to embrace new architectural styles being introduced in Colorado. More information (PDF, 4.35 MB).
3529 Wyandot St.
State Register 9/13/1995, 5DV.419
The 1891 Queen Anne style Hellis House was designed by Leonard Cutshaw, a prominent Denver architect for the family of Harry K. Hellis. Hellis operated a retail and wholesale grocery business. The house was one of the earliest constructed in the Witters addition to the Highlands area and is a good example of a style popular in this Denver neighborhood.
Hendrie & Bolthoff Warehouse Building
National Register 2/9/1988, 5DV.47.169
The warehouse building, a four-story brick, rectangular plan structure with five bays and two entrances in front, was built in 1907. It is a relatively unaltered early 20th Century Commercial Style building designed by Frank E. Edbrooke and built for Hendrie and Bolthoff Manufacturing and Supply Company, a major manufacturer and supplier of mining equipment.
Bounded by Highland Park Pl., Federal Blvd., & Fairview Pl.
National Register 9/17/1986, 5DV.5320
Highland Park / Scottish Village Historic District
Bounded by Zuni St., Dunkeld Pl., Clay St., & 32nd Ave.
National Register 1/18/1985, 5DV.2101
The area known today as Scottish Village is significant as the last remaining fragment of Highland Park, planned and developed in 1874 by General William Jackson Palmer and Dr. William A. Bell, two of the most influential men in the early development and settlement of Colorado. Highland Park is one of only three known examples of 19th century picturesque community planning in the Front Range (the other two are Corona Park in South Pueblo and Colorado Springs’ Fifth Addition), associated with Palmer and Bell. Only Denver’s Highland Park seems to be modeled after the last word in romantic suburbs, Chicago’s Riverside. Building types include simple houses and cottages, duplexes and triplexes, multifamily housing, and commercial structures.
Highlands Masonic Lodge
3220 Federal Blvd.
National Register 11/22/1995, 5DV.303
Constructed in 1905, the building is a good intact example of the Neo-Classical style as designed by an unknown architect.
Holy Rosary Church & School
4664, 4670, & 4690 Pearl St.
State Register 3/10/1999, 5DV.349
Located in Denver’s ethnically diverse Globeville neighborhood, the church and school played an important role in the social and educational activities of the Slovenian and Croatian families of the parish. The complex of three brick buildings is also important architecturally. Completed in 1920, the church is a good example of Romanesque Revival church architecture as designed by prominent Denver architect L.A. Desjardins. The 1921 convent exhibits the character defining features of the American Foursquare residence type, and the 1928 Mission Revival style school is the only known Denver building credited to the prolific Colorado Springs architect Thomas MacLaren.
Crawford Hill Mansion
969 Sherman St.
National Register 9/13/1990, 5DV.713
Theodore Boal designed the 1906 house for Crawford and Louise Hill. Mrs. Hill led Denver’s socially elite "Sacred 36" and entertained many distinguished guests, among them U.S. President William Howard Taft. The extravagant 7,000 square foot, three-story house is one of the best examples of French Renaissance architecture in Denver. More information (PDF, 5.62 MB).
W.A. Hover & Company Building
1390 Lawrence St.
National Register 7/8/1999, 5DV.1719
The 1901 William A. Hover & Company Building is associated with the development of the wholesale drug industry from 1901 to 1949. The Hover Co. grew into one of the largest regional drug supply companies, serving Colorado and the surrounding states. The building is a good example of early 20th Century Commercial Style architecture and is one of only two intact examples of a commercial building designed by master architect, Robert S. Roeschlaub.
Humboldt Street Historic District
10th to 12th Ave. on Humboldt St.
National Register 12/29/1978, 5DV.166
Located west of Cheesman Park, the district includes 24 large residences constructed between 1895 and 1920. Relatively simple versions of the Foursquare style are represented as well as richly detailed examples of other popular styles of the period such as the Colonial Revival, Georgian Revival, and Renaissance Revival. Prominent Denver architectural firms including Marean and Norton, Willison and Fallis, and the Barressen Bros. were among the designers. The district reflects the type of residences owned and occupied by some of the city’s most influential and wealthy citizens of the period.
Hungarian Freedom Park / Arlington Park
Bounded by Speer Blvd., 1st Ave. & Clarkson St.
National Register 9/17/1986, 5DV.5321
Hungarian Freedom and Alamo Placita Parks illustrate the early plan to develop parks facing each other on opposite sides of Speer Boulevard and Cherry Creek. The formal Italian gardens of the Alamo Placita Park section were designed to be viewed from the hillside of Hungarian Freedom Park (formerly Arlington Park) which, in turn, was to be viewed from Alamo Placita Park as a meadowed hillside backed by an evergreen forest. Saco R. DeBoer designed both parks: Hungarian Freedom in 1925 and Alamo Placita in 1927. The property is associated with the Denver Park and Parkway System Thematic Resource.
Ideal Basic Cement Company Corporate Hangar
8695 Montview Blvd.
State Register 2/14/2006, 5DV.9446
The 1959 aircraft hangar embodies the distinctive characteristics of a type and method of construction – a thin shell concrete barrel vault. Thin shell construction was popular primarily from World War II through the 1960s. The building is also notable for its early use of post tensioning to control structure behavior and cracking. The hangar is believed to be the only diamond-shaped cylindrical arch thin shell structure constructed worldwide. Structural engineer Milo S. Ketchum, a nationally and internationally recognized proponent of thin shell construction, designed the hangar. A number of professional organizations subsequently honored Ketchum for his contributions to the field of thin shell engineering as well as for his work in steel construction. The hangar represents the apex of Ketchum’s career, and more specifically, his work from the late 1950s and early 1960s in thin shell engineering. More information (PDF, 5.62 MB).
821 17th St.
National Register 6/9/1977, 5DV.125
Reported to be the first multi-level building constructed of reinforced concrete west of the Mississippi, the eight-story structure is topped with a penthouse level. Designed by Montana Fallis and John Stein, the building was constructed in 1907 by the Dome Investment Co. for Claude Boettcher in order to promote the capabilities of his Colorado Portland Cement Company. The first two floors are faced with large blocks of dressed travertine marble. The brick of the upper floors was stuccoed in the 1920s. A 1927 addition was designed by the architectural firm of Fisher and Fisher. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of Downtown Denver Multiple Property Submission.
2201 S. University Blvd.
National Register 4/19/2006, 5DV.9219
Iliff Hall, constructed in 1892, remains an important center for theological education in the United Methodist Church. The building is an important example of the Richardsonian Romanesque style, while also revealing influences from the Gothic Revival. Designed by the Albany, New York, firm of Fuller & Wheeler, the building exhibits such character defining features as rock-faced granite and sandstone, decorated moldings on the face of the arches, clustered arches with masonry mullions and transom bars, steeply pitched hipped roof, narrow eaves, finials, wall dormers, one-over-one sash in deeply recessed window openings, and a deeply set main entry behind a massive stone arch. Semicircular arches are a defining feature of the Richardsonian Romanesque style. The architects may have used Gothic Revival style arches to highlight the ecclesiastical status of the building. More information (PDF, 490 kb).
Bounded by W. 50th, Sheridan Blvd., W. 49th, & Fenton St.
National Register 9/17/1986, 5DV.5322
This park on a bluff affords a view of nearly 200 miles of the front range of the Rocky Mountains, as well as the entire city of Denver. The park represents the kind of vista point Charles Mulford Robinson suggested in his 1906 plan for the improvement of the city of Denver and which George Kessler designed into the 1907 Denver park and parkway system. The 1910 park design is credited to George Kessler and Henry C. Wright. The property is associated with the Denver Park and Parkway System Thematic Resource.
Jonas Brothers Furs Building
State Register 3/12/2003, 5DV.8321
The Jonas brothers established a national reputation as taxidermists and furriers. Initially the company’s furrier trade was secondary to taxidermy, but after the 1940s private clients began to buy more furs than taxidermy services. The firm continued to do taxidermy work for museums for the entire time of its existence. Coloman Jonas, the eldest brother and co-founder of the firm, served for over twenty-five years on the board of trustees for the Denver Zoological Foundation and the Denver Museum of Natural History, advising the museum in the planning and fashioning of the spectacular displays of wildlife that make the Denver museum one of the world’s finest. The 1923 building is also important for its extremely rare surviving example of a late 1920s rooftop neon advertising sign. Rooftop advertising signs, both incandescent and neon illuminated, once formed a familiar part of Denver’s downtown landscape. Changes in marketing philosophies and increasingly prohibitive sign codes hastened the demise of this form of outdoor advertising. The Jonas Brothers Furs sign is the oldest known surviving illuminated rooftop sign in downtown Denver.
Lloyd M. Joshel House
220 S. Dahlia St.
National Register 12/28/1995, 5DV.4787
This 1951 Denver house is believed to be the city’s best example of the International Style in a residential building. The husband and wife team of Joseph and Louise Marlow collaborated on the design.
Joslin Dry Goods Company Building
934 16th St.
State Register 3/12/1996, National Register 8/14/1997, 5DV.1913
Constructed as a red brick, four story, two part commercial block in 1887, the building is significant in the area of commerce for its association with one of Colorado’s leading dry goods retailers. A fifth story was added during a major renovation of the building’s exterior appearance in 1927. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of Downtown Denver Multiple Property Submission.
Jeffery & Mary Keating House
National Register 10/22/1980, 5DV.188
Constructed in 1891, the 2½-story residence is a good residential example of the Richardsonian Romanesque style. Rough-dressed sandstone walls extend into the gable ends of a steeply pitched gable roof. Conical roofs top a full-height rounded bay on the south side and a round tower at the north end of the east facade. The house was built for Jeffery and Mary Keating. Keating, a Denver promoter and real estate developer, was also a founder of the McPhee & McGinnity Lumber Company. More information (PDF, 1.89 MB).
1900 E. 7th Ave. Pkwy.
National Register 2/28/2002, 5DV.751
The John G. and Helen Kerr House, built in 1924-1925, is a good example of the Italian Renaissance Revival style that was popular during the early 20th century. Located on a large corner lot, the two-story brick residence reflects the extensive and artistic use of Colorado travertine marble. The marble was mined from John Kerr’s marble quarry near Salida, Colorado. The building is also an important work in the life of Denver architect Jules Jacque Benois Benedict. The property is associated with The Architecture of Jules Jacques Benois Benedict in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Kistler House / Rodriguez House
700 E. 9th Ave.
National Register 5/27/1983, 5DV.1497
The William Henry Kistler family first occupied this house in 1920. Kistler (1858-1936) was a successful early Denver businessman and founder of the W.H. Kistler Stationery Company, the largest concern of its kind in the West for many years. Denver architect Jules J.B.Benedict designed the eclectic Jacobethan Revival style house. The house was later occupied by Dr. Rene Alvarez Rodriguez, physician and honorary consul to the Dominican Republic. The property is associated with The Architecture of Jules Jacques Benois Benedict in Colorado Multiple Property Submission. More information (PDF, 4.63 MB).
Kistler Stationery Building
1636 Champa St.
State Register 3/12/1997, National Register 4/14/1997, 5DV.492
The 1916 Kistler Building is important as the place of business for one of Colorado’s leading printers and stationery retailers from 1916 to 1966. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of Downtown Denver Multiple Property Submission.
511 16th St.
National Register 12/2/1977, 5DV.139
Completed in 1891, the Richardsonian Romanesque style building was designed by architect A. Morris Stuckert. The imposing seven-story structure was one of Denver’s first major office buildings and continues to occupy its prominent downtown corner location at 16th and Glenarm streets. The rockfaced stone walls of the first two floors are granite, while the upper floors are rhyolite. Window openings are stacked vertically within seven bays, with semicircular arches appearing above the windows at the second and sixth floors. The building’s deep cornice features rich stone carving. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of Downtown Denver Multiple Property Submission.
770 High St.
National Register 7/27/2005, 5DV.6051
The Kohn House was built in 1925 on the design of architect Jules J.B. Benedict. The two-story dwelling with rounded corner entrance at the intersection of two wings is the only known example of a triple-axis plan in Benedict’s work. The combination of quality materials elegantly employed and the artistic use of ornamentation created by skilled craftsmen throughout the house were hallmarks of the architect’s work. The Italian Renaissance style is reflected in features such as the stucco clad brick walls and stone wainscot; the use of light-colored limestone and cast concrete in ornamental features; the low-pitched hipped roof with tile roofing; the broad eave overhang with modillions; the arched doors, first-story windows, and loggia; the classical detailing at the entrance; and the wrought metal grilles and low railings. The house was built for Samuel E. Kohn, who lived here with his family until his death in 1943. Kohn founded American Furniture Company and built it from a small business to a leading retail firm. Influential in professional organizations, he held a leadership position in the National Retail Furniture Association. The property is associated with The Architecture of Jules Jacques Benois Benedict in Colorado Multiple Property Submission. More information (PDF, 398.96 kb).
Kopper’s Hotel & Saloon
1215-1219 20th St.
National Register 6/4/1999, 5DV.518
The 1899 Kopper’s Hotel and Saloon is one of the few surviving representatives of Denver’s early ethnic saloons and working class hotels. German immigrant Albert Kopper built the three-story building as a replacement for his successful saloon at the saloon at the same location. Architect Frederick Carl Eberely designed the hotel in a style typical of late Victorian-era commercial architecture, distinguishing its facade with a pair of two-story bay windows.