Cedar Mesa Community Club
15637 Peach Road
State Register 6/15/2016, 5DT.2020
Following a national women’s club movement, the Cedar Mesa Community Club organized in 1908 with fewer than ten members. After many years of holding the meetings in the homes of its members—and as membership grew—the club raised enough money to build a clubhouse in 1949. Since then, club members have used the clubhouse continuously for annual social, educational, charitable, fundraising, and community events. It is significant for its role in the local social activities of this relatively isolated agricultural community. More information (PDF, 2.3 MB).
Cedaredge Consolidated School
360 N. Grand Mesa Dr.
State Register 9/9/1998, 5DT.118
The 1920 brick building is an early example of the consolidation of rural students within a school equipped to offer a varied educational program. Designed by the Denver architectural firm of Mountjoy and Frewen, it is also important as a rare local example of the Mediterranean Revival style.
210 Aspen St.
State Register 6/14/1995, 5DT.1012
Associated with the exploration and settlement of the Cedaredge area, the property includes a small log cabin which served as the first residence in the community. The 1891 Lovett House is the longest continually occupied residence in Cedaredge and also served as the location of the community’s first post office.
1812 Colo. Hwy. 65
National Register 11/17/1997, 5DT.1076
Based on a Sears Catalog plan for a wood frame residence, the 1911 two-story Stolte House is a good local example of ornamental concrete block construction. The blocks were molded and laid by Cedaredge mason Virgil Bouldin, while interior materials were ordered from Sears. Listed under Ornamental Concrete Block Buildings in Colorado, 1900 to 1940 Multiple Property Submission.
Surface Creek Livestock Company Silos
315 SW 3rd St.
State Register 11/9/1994, National Register 4/27/2000, 5DT.1013
Constructed in 1916 and 1917, the three stacked lumber silos were built by Robert James, an early settler in the Surface Creek Valley. James was recognized locally for his carpentry skills and built the silos for the Stockham Brothers, owners and operators of the Bar I Ranch. The unusual nine and eleven sided structures were connected with a series of wooden walkways. The stacked lumber construction method is notable for its strength and durability. More difficult to construct than a simple square or rectangle, the nearly round shape of the silos distributed the outward force generated by the stored grains to more planks of shorter length, thus increasing the overall strength of the structure.
Captain Smith’s Cabin
Escalante Rd. west of US Hwy. 50, Delta Vicinity
State Register 3/12/1997, 5DT.981
This 1911 property is an interesting and unusual example of stone construction. An on-site sandstone formation serves as the main cabin’s south wall. A small stone guest cabin is located to the east.
Delta County Bank Building
301-305 Main St.
National Register 6/24/1993, 5DT.364
The two-story brick and stone building features a three-story corner tower. Constructed in 1892, for the owners of the Delta County Bank, the building is an excellent local example of the Romanesque Revival style. Located on a prominent downtown corner, banking facilities operated on the first floor. The second floor housed law offices and Masonic Lodge meeting rooms.
Delta National Bank (Delta City Hall)
360 Main St.
State Register 6/14/1995, 5DT.423
The former bank building is the only example in Delta of Beaux-Arts Classicism. Its design is credited to Denver architect Merrill Hoyt. The 1910 building represents an early example of the architect’s many contributions to Colorado’s built environment.
Delta Post Office & Federal Building
360 Meeker St.
National Register 1/24/1986, 5DT.270
Built in 1938, the simple two-story brick building, with three vertical marble panels marking its façade, is an interesting expression of Neo-Classicism. As a major construction project during the Depression, it serves as a reminder of the federal presence during a period of national economic emergency. Listed under U.S. Post Offices in Colorado Thematic Resource.
Delta Public Library
211 West 6th St.
State Register 12/13/1995, 5DT.441
The 1911 building is associated with the nationwide Carnegie public library movement and the efforts of the Women’s Club of Delta to erect a library. It is also architecturally significant as a good example of Neo-Classicism and is the only example of this style in Delta. Architect G.R. Felmlee designed the original building. A sensitively designed addition in 1984 was the work of Dona, Larson, Roubal and Associates.
452 Main St.
National Register 7/12/1993, 5DT.431
The Depression era motion picture theatrical promotion know as "Bank Night" began in Delta’s Egyptian Theater. Created by Charles Yaeger to stimulate lagging theater attendance, the first Bank Night occurred at the Egyptian Theater in March of 1933. Within four years the promotion, in which cash prizes were awarded to theater patrons, spread to movie theaters across America. A 1996 restoration project returned the Egyptian to its 1928 appearance as designed by Denver architect Montana Fallis. Egyptian Revival architecture experienced a brief period of popularity in the 1920s, particularly in movie theater construction.
700 Leon St.
State Register 9/13/1995, 5DT.1047
The 1906 Fairlamb House is one of the few surviving examples of the Foursquare style in Delta. Typical of Foursquares built in Delta, the house is a variation on the type.
First Methodist Episcopal Church of Delta
199 East 5th St.
National Register 2/20/1991, 5DT.896
The 1910 Tudor Revival style church, of tan brick manufactured by Delta Brick and Tile Company, was designed by Samuel A. Bullard of Bullard and Bullard, an Illinois architectural firm. The numerous stained glass windows were supplied by Midland Glass Company of Omaha, Nebraska. The Akron Plan interior includes a three sided mezzanine/balcony, corner chancel, curved pews, and a sloping floor meant to permit better viewing from the rear of the sanctuary. The one-story parsonage, a 1926 Delta brick bungalow, is also located on the property.
509 Leon St.
State Register 8/12/1992, National Register 11/7/1995, 5DT.988
Garnethurst possesses the distinctive characteristics of the Queen Anne style as seen in its asymmetrical composition, decorative shingles and projections, wrap-around porch, decorative gable trim and elaborate vergeboards. The 1896 house is one of the largest and most ornate Queen Anne homes in Delta.
Tru-Vu Drive In
1001 Colo. Hwy. 92
State Register 3/10/1999, 5DT.1222
Opened in 1954, this still operating drive-in movie theater is a rare surviving example of this particular type of entertainment venue. Of the 81 drive-in theaters constructed in Colorado between 1947 and 1976, only 12 remained in operation as of 1999. The Tru-Vu has undergone few modifications and retains a high degree of integrity.
Escalante Rd. west of US Hwy. 50, Delta vicinity
State Register 3/12/1997, 5DT.741
The 1911 building is an example of fine stone construction reflecting the craftsmanship of members of the Walker family who were Delta area stone masons. In spite of experiencing some vandalism, it provides a striking contrast to the roughly finished stone buildings on the nearby Captain Smith’s Cabin property.
First Presbyterian Church of Eckert
13011 Colo. Hwy. 65
National Register 1/11/2006, 5DT.1379
The First Presbyterian Church of Eckert is an excellent example of the Craftsman style as applied to ecclesiastical architecture. Constructed in two stages between the years 1915-1921, the building exhibits many elements of the style, including a stone exterior, triangular braces, exposed rafters and truss work. Few Colorado churches utilized the Craftsman style. Both the church and the 1949 manse exhibit the skills of area craftsmen who used locally collected basaltic rubble stone in the randomly coursed walls, as well as the 1987 church addition. The church is the work of architect Lawrence Valk. Known to have designed numerous churches and other buildings throughout the country, much of his documented work is found east of the Mississippi. After moving to California in the 1890s, buildings designed by Valk and his son displayed Craftsman influences. This is Valk’s only known Colorado commission.
422 Riverside Dr.
National Register 12/15/2011, 5DT.1049
The Hotchkiss Homestead is important for its long association with Agriculture from 1884 to 1961. Additionally it is important for its association with Enos Throop Hotchkiss, a noted Colorado pioneer, from 1884-1900, in the area of Exploration/Settlement. This property helps to tell the story of the final stage of Hotchkiss’ productive life, during which time he founded the town of Hotchkiss and established a regional ranching tradition. Finally, it is architecturally significant for its distinctive brick barn on the property. More information (PDF, 1.14 MB)
101 Bridge St.
National Register 9/20/1984, 5DT.505
Completed in 1897, the two-story red brick hotel was the community’s first major commercial building. It was constructed for Enos T. Hotchkiss, who founded the town in 1885. Retail spaces are located on the first floor, and sleeping accommodations for up to fifty guests are on the second floor.
Hotchkiss Methodist Episcopal Church
285 N. 2nd Ave.
National Register 10/28/2009, 5DT.1769
The 1925 Hotchkiss Methodist Episcopal Church is an excellent example of the Craftsman style applied to an ecclesiastical building. The church displays the typical characteristics of the style such as local stone, truss work, overhanging eaves with exposed rafters, and wood shingles. Additional details – the decoratively carved bargeboards on the exterior, and the beams and sculpted rafters on the interior – attest to the expert craftsmanship of local builder Peter Stewart. More information (PDF, 1.10 MB).
1122 2100 Rd., Orchard City vicinity
State Register 5/16/2001, 5DT.1328
The early 1890s Stell House survives as a distinctive example of a type and method of construction. Early settler James W. Stell and his father-in-law, John Brower, an expert with the adz and broad axe, constructed this log house of square-hewn logs held together by carefully hewn square notching. Despite some alterations and additions, the house remains an impressive example of log construction, reflecting the expertise of a master craftsman.
312 Onarga Ave.
National Register 11/16/2015, 5DT.534
The 1906 Bross Hotel is architecturally significant as the only two-story Late Victorian style hotel, of its era, remaining in Paonia. It provided accommodations to Paonia visitors, investors, fruit brokers and associates of the Westmoreland Coal Company and many others. William T. Bross built the hotel by making about 100,000 bricks on site from the clay excavated from the cellar. When it opened a local newspaper referred to it as Delta County’s "only really first class hotel." During its early years numerous social and civic meetings and events were held at the hotel. The Bross family owned and operated the hotel into the late 1930s. It continued in operation until 1969 when it closed as a hotel for a period. The Bross Hotel operates as a bed and breakfast. More information (PDF, 3.8MB)
1468 Colo. Hwy. 133
State Register 12/8/1993, 5DT.444
The residence was constructed between 1905 and 1912, using red bricks made on the site. John and Sophia Bruce, early pioneers in the North Fork Valley, were first involved in cattle raising. The family later became successful fruit growers. Located along the West Elk Loop, a Colorado Scenic and Historic Byway, the large two-story residence features a steeply pitched hipped roof with prominent attic dormers.
Curtis Hardware Company
228 Grand Ave.
National Register 10/19/1989, 5DT.528
The 1902 two-story brick building is an excellent local example of Late Victorian commercial architecture with Classical Revival detailing. The second floor apartment features a large three sided oriel window. The cast iron storefront, manufactured by Front Builders of St. Louis, Missouri, remains intact. The first floor retail space housed the Curtis Hardware Company until it ceased operations in 1987.
First National Bank Building
226 Grand Ave.
State Register 5/18/2005, 5DT.527
The 1903 First National Bank in Paonia is an important downtown commercial building built of locally quarried and cut sandstone. Most of the downtown buildings display 19th century Commercial Italianate elements in wood, while the Bank building utilizes stone and exhibits a Romanesque Revival influence in the arch, stone piers and square cut stone. The building is the work of prominent local stonemasons Al Hurst and Sege Stratton. The Bank is their only known intact commercial work in town, others having been modified extensively. The stonemasons exhibited clearly identifiable ability and skill. More information (PDF, 666 kb).
40467 Mathews Ln.
National Register 10/6/2004, 5DT.1533
An excellent example of the architecture of the Late Victorian period, the 1897-1901 Mathews House is the most intact Queen Anne-style house in the Paonia area, as well as one of the largest and most ornate. The house displays elements typical of the style, including asymmetrical massing, a turreted porch, a bay window, decorative brackets and vergeboard, the use of stone and brick, and decorative shingles. Fine craftsmanship and detail are evident throughout the house, on both the exterior and interior. The house also retains its original outbuildings associated with the property’s fruit orchard history, including a barn, a caretaker’s cottage, a shop and a privy. More information (PDF, 827 kb).
Paonia First Christian Church
235 Box Elder Ave.
National Register 4/27/2011, 5DT.1375
The Paonia First Christian Church is an excellent example of Romanesque style church as interpreted by local craftsmen. The building, along with several other churches, is in the heart of the residential area of Paonia, which has a long-standing religious identity marked by the high density of churches in the small town. The building is constructed of regularly coursed, rusticated sandstone with distinctive architectural features such as the round, three-story, crenellated tower with a graduated buttress.