San Isabel National Forest, Fairview vicinity
National Register 12/4/1990, 5CR.191
This circa 1913 collection of buildings is an excellent example of an early 20th century high country homestead. The log house, log barn, wood frame shed, and outhouse form a complete and unaltered complex representing a small, seasonal cattle raising operation.
Silver Cliff Town Hall & Engine House
606 Main St.
State Register 3/12/1997, 5CR.220
The circa 1880 building reflects a conscious effort by the community to create an infrastructure for the booming town of Silver Cliff, and it served for many years as a meeting place. It is also important as a surviving example of the typical wood frame, false front commercial buildings constructed during early periods of rapid population growth.
64159 Colo. Hwy. 69
National Register 5/20/1998, 5CR.26
The property is associated with the development of large cattle ranches in south- central Colorado during the late 19th century. Elton and Edwin Beckwith were leaders within the ranching and political realms of the Wet Mountain Valley. The expansive main house includes a porte cochere and tower. Associated buildings are representative of vernacular wood frame agricultural outbuildings.
Denver & Rio Grande Engine House
West end of Roseta Ave.
State Register 12/8/1993, 5CR.221
Constructed in 1900-01, the engine house served the Westcliffe terminus of the branch line from Texas Creek. The engine house and the depression left by the removal of the turntable are all that remain of the Texas Creek branch of the D&RG railroad line. Few historic engine houses of any type survive in Colorado, and engine houses were not commonly built on branch lines. This example of a single stall branch line engine house is particularly rare.
Hope Lutheran Church
310 S. 3rd St.
National Register 1/31/1978, 5CR.55
Designed and built in 1917 by its pastor John Reininga, the church houses one of the oldest Lutheran congregations in Colorado. The ornamental concrete block building has a 96-foot tower visible for miles. An elaborately carved altar with a gothic arch and eleven ornate spires was also the work of the pastor. Fourteen stained glass windows illuminate the simple interior.
63161 Colo. Hwy. 69
National Register 2/14/1997, 5CR.45.1
Constructed in 1869, the cabin is associated with the early settlement of the Wet Mountain Valley. The cabin is a rare surviving example of two-story log construction.
215 S. 6th St.
State Register 6/12/1996, 5CR.261
The circa 1898 Mercier House is significant as a residential example of the work of Archie Scherer, an early Westcliffe stonemason. Scherer, who was known for his skillful use of local fieldstone and for his attention to detail, also built the Westcliffe Jail and Westcliff School.
National Hotel / Wolff Building
201 2nd St.
National Register 11/5/1987, 5CR.5
This 1887 two-story brick building has a quarry-faced stone front with arched windows trimmed in contrasting tooled and dressed stone. This example of a small 19th century Victorian commercial building has a sophistication of design not usually found in the small mountain communities of Colorado. It was the first hotel and is the only remaining stone front building in Westcliffe.
Westcliffe Denver & Rio Grande Depot
102 Main St.
State Register 5/27/2010, 5CR.565
The Westcliffe depot is significant for the period 1901-1938 for the role it played in the development of local commerce, community planning and development, and transportation. Including passenger service, freight shipping, train management, and the residence for the station agent within one building, the depot is a combination-style as defined by the Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Documentation Form. While typical of other combination depots in rural Colorado, this wood frame building is differentiated by Craftsman decorative elements. Despite alterations, the building still reads a depot both in its form, materials, and physical location in the town layout. The setting is further strengthened by extant railroad structures that remain nearby, most notably the renovated engine house.
116 2nd St.
National Register 2/3/1993, 5CR.218
This circa 1888 small one-story building was constructed of locally collected fieldstone. Skilled local stone mason Archie Scherer, also responsible for the Westcliff School, was commissioned to build the jail. The building served as an incarceration facility until the mid-1920s.
304 4th St.
National Register 7/27/1989, 5CR.29
Built in 1891 of local fieldstone, this rural schoolhouse functioned as a school until 1953. The building has an unusual flat topped gable roof. The building is now in use as a community center and museum. Listed under Rural School Buildings in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Willow Ln. between Muddy Ln. and Schoolfield Ln.
State Register 12/9/1992, National Register 5/14/1993, 5CR.213
This simple 1889 wood frame rural schoolhouse closed due to a school consolidation in 1948, but it continues to function as a community center. Listed under Rural School Buildings in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Squirrel Creek Recreational Unit
San Isabel National Forest, Wetmore vicinity
National Register 3/28/2005, 5PE.5346 / 5CR.492
Located 26 miles southwest of Pueblo in Pueblo and Custer counties, the Squirrel Creek Recreational Unit consists of a four-mile segment of a historic road (now known as Squirrel Creek Trail) that parallels much of Squirrel Creek. The road connects with the other resources in the district, including the Squirrel Creek Campground with its picnic shelter; the Cascade Trail; and the ruins of the Squirrel Creek Lodge. Improvements began in 1919 and the area remained in use until 1947, when a flash flood destroyed much of the road, part of the trail, and portions of the campground. The recreational property is associated with the rapid growth and development of outdoor recreation in the United States following World War I. The district exemplifies the post-war transition of the Forest Service from a focus on timber and watershed management to a new role in public outdoor recreation. Construction began as a result of promotional and financial assistance from the nonprofit local cooperative association, the San Isabel Public Recreation Association. Arthur Carhart, the first full-time landscape architect hired by the USFS, is credited with the application of integrated recreational planning in the National Forests. During his tenure with the Forest Service (from 1919 through 1922), Carhart developed the first forest-wide comprehensive recreational plan that was later used as a model throughout the National Forest system. As the first professionally and comprehensively planned recreation complex in the National Forest system, the Squirrel Creek Recreational Unit is nationally significant.
Wetmore Post Office
682 County Rd. 395, Wetmore
State Register 5/29/2008, National Register 9/12/2008, 5CR.545
The Wetmore Post Office served as the continuing hub of local community activity and communication since beginning operation in 1881. Built as a residence, store and office for Dr. J.W. Walters, the retail operation included the sale of drugs, sundries and limited grocery items. The existence of the post office caused community residents to visit the store on a regular basis to send and receive mail while engaging in the informal exchange of information in this social setting. The addition of the switchboard for the local Siloam Telephone Company in 1910 added to the communications function of the building, even for those who did not physically cross its threshold. The telephone switchboard operated until 1961 and the post office continues to occupy the building. (2008 photograph.) More information (PDF, 478 kb).