Denver Tramway Streetcar #.04
State Register 6/14/2000, 5AM.1322
Denver Tramway Co. Streetcar #.04 is important for its 39-year association with the Denver & Intermountain Railroad and the Denver Tramway Co. electric streetcar system. It was the last electric streetcar to be operated in revenue service by the Tramway Co. before the end of service in July 1950. Built in 1911 by the Woeber Manufacturing Company, a prominent Denver car builder, #.04 is also significant as the sole surviving representative of its class of interurban streetcar.
Fitzsimons General Hospital, Main Hospital Building
12101 E. Colfax Ave.
State Register 3/10/1999, 5AM.123.28
Opened in 1941, the building is associated with the history of military medicine in the United States and served as a national center for the treatment of tuberculosis in military personnel. As the largest building in the state at the time of its construction, it quickly became a regional visual landmark. Portions of the brick and stone building rise to a ten-story height. The Modernistic style building’s then state-of-the-art design for military general hospitals is reflected in its stepped and terraced plan which allowed maximum sunshine, fresh air, and scenic views. L.M. Leisenring, supervising architect for the Army Quartermaster Corps, oversaw the building’s design and construction.
In 1955, an eighth floor suite of rooms served as President Dwight Eisenhower’s office and living quarters for seven weeks while he recuperated from a heart attack suffered while visiting Denver. The suite stood vacant in later years and eventually became an office. The University of Colorado Heath Sciences Center secured much of the Fitzsimons site in 1995 for its relocation from the old Denver campus at East 9th Avenue and Colorado Boulevard. The old hospital forms the historic centerpiece of the new medical campus. The Eisenhower Suite, as it came to be known, has been restored as a museum, thanks to a $67,100 SHF grant, a $10,000 donation from Wells Fargo, and matching funds from the University of Colorado. The restored suite, which opened in 2003, features Eisenhower-era details such as nurse-call buttons and glass ashtrays along with a Secret Service sitting room, nurses’ station, and a private dining room.
Granville Fuller House
2027 Galena St.
National Register 5/1/2012, 5AM.177
The Granville Fuller House is locally significant in the area of Community Planning and Development as it is one of only a few surviving and intact houses of the first commissioned by real estate developer Donald Fletcher in the speculative community of Fletcher, later named Aurora. The Fuller House is also significant as a good example of the Queen Anne style. Character-defining features include vertical orientation, asymmetrical massing, steeply pitched roof, projecting bays, spindles on a decorative porch, and decorative trim, shingles, and bargeboards. By circa 1910 the Fuller house received the addition of a full-width front porch exemplifying the history of changes that many of the Fletcher homes underwent at the turn of the twentieth century in accordance with a prominent trend. More information (PDF, 1.73 MB)
M.J. Lavina Robidoux House
1615 Galena St.
National Register 9/15/2011, 5AM.344
The 1913 M. J. Lavina Robidoux House is architecturally significant as an excellent and well-preserved example of the Craftsman style. The city of Aurora has very few examples of Craftsman brick bungalows, making this house particularly significant. Representative of the Craftsman architectural style, the one-and-a-half-story Robidoux House has a cross-gabled roof with full-width front porch supported by massive columns, large triangular knee braces supporting broad eaves, decorative exterior brickwork patterning, and original leaded-glass and stained-glass windows. Character-defining architectural features on the prominent front porch include chevron-patterned brickwork at the gable end, and original gable-end windows with elaborate brick surrounds of alternating light and dark brickwork. The two gable-end windows are topped with radiating voussoirs in alternating light and dark brick. The 1,630-square-foot Robidoux House is remarkable for its use of decorative exterior brickwork, custom-made stained glass windows, and interior quarter-sawn oak built-in furnishings and detailed wood trim. Most notably, the house retains all of its original light fixtures, brass hardware, windows, and original exterior wrought-iron fencing. The house sits on its original lot and retains a high degree of architectural integrity as demonstrated by the lack of changes or alterations over time. More information (PDF, 628 kb)
Wilson House (Centennial House)
1671 Galena St.
National Register 11/7/1996, 5AM.173
This 1890, brick two-story Queen Anne residence is associated with the early development of Aurora, originally known as Fletcher. It was the first house built for turn-of-the-century suburban developer Donald Fletcher, who also invested in local water companies and streetcar lines and was president of the group that founded Fairmount Cemetery.
Adams County Courthouse (Brighton City Hall)
22 S. 4th Ave.
State Register 8/31/2006, National Register 10/4/2006, 5AM.92
The 1906 Adams County Courthouse is an excellent local example of the Classical Revival style. The courthouse exhibits such key elements as a prominent pedimented portico with Tuscan columns, pilasters, and keystones in the window lintels along with a wide frieze and prominent cornice. The building is a direct result of the creation of Adams County in 1902 and the election of Brighton as the county seat. By 1939, Adams County had outgrown the existing building and the county received money for an expansion project through the Public Works Administration, one of President Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal programs. Denver architects Richard O. Parry and Lester L. Jones designed an addition that nearly doubled the size of the building and used the same local materials found on the original portion-green glazed brick on the foundation and red pressed brick for the walls. Windows were also copied from the original building. The building housed the county’s governing board and administrative offices, the courts and judicial offices, the sheriff’s office and jail, and public meeting rooms. Much of the county’s early legal precedents were set here. In the mid-1970s, the county moved to a new building and Brighton purchased the facility for city offices. More information (PDF, 1.16 MB).
Brighton High School
830 E. Bridge St.
State Register 5/14/1997, National Register 1/23/1998, 5AM.580
The 1927 school served as a high school until 1955 and as North Junior High School from 1955 through 1984. Prominent Colorado architect Robert K. Fuller designed a dignified, elegant and functional building while keeping within the modest budget of a rural school district.
Bromley Farm / Koizuma-Hishinuma Farm
5820 E. 152nd Ave.
National Register 8/16/2007, 5AM.1841
Emmet Ayers Bromley came to Colorado in 1877 and became one of the largest sheep and livestock owners in Colorado. He also established a long and distinguished record of public service, holding the positions of Arapahoe County deputy sheriff and deputy assessor. He served three terms in the Colorado House of Representatives and two in the Colorado Senate, where he sponsored the 1901 senate bill establishing Adams County.
Following the Bromleys’ 31-year ownership of the property, the William O. Roberts family purchased and operated the farm until 1947, selling the land to the Koizuma family. The Koizumas and their relatives, the Hishinuma family, farmed the land until 2006. Asian American families made a major contribution to local agricultural and social history. Arriving in the first years of the 20th century, Japanese immigrants and their descendants were recruited to work on irrigation ditch construction and to labor in the sugar beet fields. Many initially lived in migrant worker housing. As families saved money, some were able to purchase farms of their own. Typical of those in the Brighton area, the Koizumas and Hishinumas raised sugar beets, cabbage, alfalfa, and corn.
The farm’s architecture represents the full range of buildings and structures necessary for the operation of a 20th century Colorado cattle ranch and farm, including a rare surviving example of transient labor housing. (2006 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.17 MB).
Barr Lake State Park, 13401 Picadilly Rd., Brighton vicinity
State Register 9/11/1996, 5AM.140
Emil Bruderlin arrived in Denver in the early 1870s to work as a bookbinder for the Rocky Mountain News Printing Company before going into business for himself. Remembering stone houses in his native Switzerland, he ordered several railroad cars’ worth of South Platte Canyon granite to build this 4,300-square-foot, two-and-a-half-story home for his growing family. The 1890 residence exemplifies Germanic building techniques and style. Shortly after completing this country home, Bruderlin died in a train accident. His family subsequently had to sell the home, which became a boarding house until its abandonment in the 1960s.
SHF awarded $150,000 in grants to the Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory (RMBO), which raised another $350,000 to restore the most prominent building on the banks of Barr Lake. SHF grants helped restore and rehabilitate plumbing, heating, plaster, and paint, as well as make the facility accessible to the disabled. Today, the building houses the RMBO that keeps watch on some 330 different species of birds seen at Barr Lake.
Colorado Sanitary Canning Factory
224 N. Main Street
National Register 3/15/2016, 5AM.3221
The 1908 Colorado Sanitary Canning Factory is important for housing German prisoners of war during World War II in 1945. It is also a good example of local ornamental concrete block construction applied to an early twentieth-century manufacturing building. The building meets the requirements for listing under the Multiple Property Documentation Form (MPDF) Ornamental Concrete Block Buildings in Colorado, 1900-1940, under the associated property type Ornamental Concrete Block Commercial/Industrial Buildings. More information (PDF, 2.6MB)
First Presbyterian Church
147 S. 1st Ave.
State Register 6/9/1999, 5AM.65
This small red brick building is a good local example of the Gothic Revival style. Constructed in 1886, a bell tower was added in 1890. Acknowledged to be Brighton’s first permanent religious building, it served several congregations before being purchased by the Adams County Historical Society in 1975. Restored as a Bicentennial project, the City of Brighton assumed ownership in 1976. The building remains available for community use. (1974 photograph.)
Gottlieb & Rose Egli House
72nd & Quebec St.
Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge, Commerce City vicinity
State Register 8/14/2002, 5AM.390
The circa 1910 bungalow is associated with early 20th century agriculture and irrigation in Adams County. While many of the farms in the area were small operations of 20 acres or less, Swiss-born immigrant Gottlieb Egli and his wife, Rose, farmed over 500 acres. The Sand Creek Lateral irrigation ditch, a part of the High Line Canal, provided water for crops and livestock. The Egli property was among the many acquired by the U.S. Army in 1942 for construction of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal. The house and nearby garage are the only surviving pre-World War II structures on the approximately 30-square mile tract of arsenal land now being redeveloped as the Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge. (ca. 1920 photograph.)
5201 Brighton Blvd., Commerce City vicinity
National Register 10/28/1994, 5AM.125 / 5DV.11277
Beginning in 1876, Riverside Cemetery served as Denver’s primary resting place for the prominent and influential, the unknown and unwanted, and all those in between. The cemetery grew out of the 19th century movement toward the creation of landscaped rural-type cemeteries. (2007 photograph.) More information (PDF, 3.82 MB).
Brannan Sand and Gravel Pit #8, Lake Sangraco and Boat Complex
National Register 8/16/2011, 5AM.2785
The Brannan Sand and Gravel Company started mining the property for gravel circa 1945. In 1954, the mined out gravel pit filled with water and Lloyd S. Brannan converted it to a private recreational swimming and boating resort. It is an outstanding example of a privately owned entertainment and recreational lake venue with associated buildings in the midst of the Metro-Denver area. Lake Sangraco is significant in the area of Conservation and Reclamation as an outstanding model of the ability to convert and reclaim natural resources depleted by mining operations, exemplifying the ongoing functionality of mined resources. Additionally, the main buildings are good examples of the Mid-Century Modern style as adapted to recreational buildings. Character defining features of the style found at the Lake Sangraco and Boat Complex include low-pitched gabled roofs, tripartite windows with casement sashes, picture windows, cedar tongue-and-groove siding, and wide overhanging boxed eaves.
3190 W. 112th Ave.
National Register 1/30/1998, 5AM.1118
The Thede Farmhouse conveys a long association with agriculture in the Northglenn area. The farmhouse and its 11 surrounding acres are some of the last undeveloped fields within the city limits. The 1903 house is the only remaining domestic structure in the city of Northglenn constructed prior to 1950 and is a well built example of late Queen Anne style architecture.
2024 Strasburg Road, Strasburg
National Register 12/10/2014, 5AM.3086
The Engelbrecht Farm is directly associated with the invention of the center-pivot irrigation system. It is at this farm in 1948 that Frank Zybach, the system’s inventor, built the prototype with farm owner Ernest Engelbrecht from various farm machine parts. The prototype was then tested and put into use by Engelbrecht in one of his fields, running until 1967. The original center-pivot irrigation towers remain on the farm, as does the machine shop where the prototype was constructed, the pump house, and remnants of the reservoir that supplied the water to the system. Although it took several years for the center-pivot system to gain momentum, it is now one of the main types of irrigation in the United States, predominantly on the Great Plains, where in some states it can account for more than 75 percent of irrigated farmland. More information (PDF, 3.6 MB).
Eastlake Farmers Co-Operative Elevator Company
12650 Claude Ct.
National Register 5/17/2010, 5AM.1445
The 1920 Farmers Co-Operative Elevator is a well-preserved example of a timber-frame, rural grain elevator standing in stark contrast to encroaching suburban development. The Eastlake Farmers Co-Operative Elevator is locally significant under Commerce and Industry as an embodiment of High Plains industrial agriculture between 1920 and 1960 in rural Adams County. During this period of improving agricultural technologies and transportation advances, the Eastlake Farmers Co-Operative Elevator reflects the shifts from rail to truck transportation and from single-grain to multiple-grain storage. The continuity of operations at the elevator between is testimony to the agricultural-industrial complex’s integral role in the economy of Eastlake and the surrounding region. The Farmers Co-Operative Elevator is also significant in the area of engineering as a fine example of the economical, widespread contemporary studded elevator construction technique, a specialized response to the introduction of standardized lumber in the early twentieth century. (2007 photograph.) More information (PDF, 125 kb).
3924 W. 72nd Ave.
National Register 11/3/1988, 5AM.64
This house is significant as an example of 1870s residential vernacular architecture and for its association with Edward Bowles, a pioneer resident of the town now called Westminster. In his day the community was DeSpain Junction. The Italianate style building has a red sand brick exterior with matching mortar. It now houses the Westminster Historical Museum. (2004 photograph.)
William J. Gregory House
8140 Lowell Blvd.
State Register 12/13/1995, National Register 2/23/1996, 5AM.899
The 1910 William J. Gregory House is one of the earliest houses in the original townsite and is associated with the development of Westminster University. It is a rare Colorado example of a solid brick, two-and-a-half story Dutch Colonial Revival style residence with a flared gambrel roof.
Harris Park School
7200 Lowell Blvd.
National Register 8/30/1990, 5AM.442
Built between 1892 and 1899, this school signifies the early beginnings of education in Westminster and continues to serve schoolchildren today. Originally Romanesque Revival in style, the brick building was remodeled in the 1920s to incorporate elements of the Craftsman style. Many interior features, such as original oak flooring and red brick, are visible.
12080 Lowell Blvd.
National Register 3/20/2013, 5AM.2830
The Metzger Farm, an intact complex of farmhouse, caretakers’ house, barn, outbuildings, gardens, lakes, crop fields/pasture and equipment, is agriculturally significant as an excellent example of a mid-twentieth century hobby farm. It is also significant for its association with John Metzger, a prominent Denver lawyer, Colorado attorney general, political leader and entrepreneur. Finally, the farm is architecturally significant with a good example of a Colonial Revival style farmhouse, its Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements style caretakers’ house, and for the type, period and method of construction of its mid-century barn and various outbuildings. More information (PDF, 5.47 MB).
Savery Savory Mushroom Farm Water Tower
110th Ct. and Federal Blvd.
State Register 12/16/2005, 5AM.1856
The circa 1925 Savery Savory Mushroom Water Tower marks the site of a prosperous and extensive mushroom growing and canning business. The water tower is the only intact remnant from the complex. The distinctively painted water tower has been a prominent landscape feature over the past 80 years, becoming a familiar community landmark. The city commissioned the historically accurate tower repainting in 2006. (2006 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.0 MB).
Union High School
3455 W. 72nd Ave.
National Register 1/14/2000, 5AM.895
Constructed in 1929, the two-story, blond brick Union High School served as the first high school for the Westminster community. It functioned in that capacity from 1929 until 1949. In 1939, the school district constructed the gymnasium and classroom addition by taking advantage of Public Works Administration funding. The building is now used as an alternative education center.
Westminster University (Belleview College)
3455 W. 83rd Ave.
National Register 8/10/1979, 5AM.67
This towering red sandstone structure, in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, was jointly designed by E.B. Gregory and noted New York architect Stanford White. Finished in 1892 for the Presbyterian Church, the original university failed in 1917. Its law school survived and later merged with that of the University of Denver. In its place Pillar of Fire, an indigenous Colorado organization, established Belleview College to promote liberal education under a religious influence. (1979 photograph.)